Tire mounting in Hampton Roads , VA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
So, the local Cycle Gear is getting absolutely outrageous (money-wise) for tire mounting. I understand that they are attempting to get people to buy their tires. As long as they're not competitively priced, I won't purchase tires from them unless it's an emergency.

It is getting expensive enough that it would almost be worth it to go to the local stealer & have them do the tire on the bike... where I wouldn't need to be bothered going through the hassle of doing removal/mounting, myself. It almost isn't worth it, anymore. I will be looking for alternate service in the future. If I find a good alternate, it's the last time that I will be gracing their door for a tire swap.

So, is anyone aware of a good alternate in this area?

TIA, Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
crickets... I hear crickets. lol! Anyway, I hope that I hear something positive about this subject in the future.

It would be a bit of a hike for you, but I have the Harbor Freight setup with mojo blocks and a Handy static balancer. If you want to, get the best internet deal on tires and bring your bike (or wheels) over here to mount and balance. In Middletown, MD, west of Frederick. Tom

Wow Tom, what an awesome offer. Like you say, though... it's a hike... definitely a hike. Thank you for the excellent offer, tho, Heidi

Have you tried searching on Craig's List? I found a reasonable mobile tire change guy in Indy and most recently a guy about 30 min away who has a no mar jr pro setup and only charges $15 for off-bike wheels. I found then in the Services - Cycles section abd searches "tire". Good luck!

Good idea Allen...
WhaWhaWhat???
ohno-smiley02.gif
swoon.gif
good.gif

I'm not sure that I understand that response, Joe.

my friend dan has a harbor frieght tire changerhere in chesterfield, I,m sure he could help you ,you could ship tires to his house,i'll be putting on a new set in september , if you can wait till then. the price? six pack.

Late to the party...but my guy Eppa Wimbish in Central Garage/Aylett (NE of Richmond off 360) does mine for $20 apiece. I buy tires off the interwebz and have them shipped directly to him. Ride over, chat with him, listen to blues while he changes tires. Easy peasy.

Joe, he does them for $20 each ON the bike? I'd definitely find that worth riding to Richmond for. Cycle Gear just charged me $40.00 for 1 wheel delivered to them. It's mounted & ready to go... but I'm not dealing with that price again. That's getting a bit redick.

Yorksman, I was perusing Craigslist & saw Precision Motorcycles on there. What do they charge? On or off bike?

Joe, he does them for $20 each ON the bike? I'd definitely find that worth riding to Richmond for. Cycle Gear just charged me $40.00 for 1 wheel delivered to them. It's mounted & ready to go... but I'm not dealing with that price again. That's getting a bit redick.
Yorksman, I was perusing Craigslist & saw Precision Motorcycles on there. What do they charge? On or off bike?
Yes, Heidi--ride in, watch and chat while he works, and ride out. Easy peasy--an excuse to ride up SR 14 off 17, eh?

I definitely find that a good reason to come that way. Next go around I will be looking at a set... front & back. I'll definitely be in touch, ok?

$30 off bike.

You think $40 us a ripoff? How about $70 for one rear wheel (on the bike) and I bought the freaking tire from that shop!

The very next day I bought a pair of Motion Pro tire irons and have not looked back. Learn to do tires yourself. It doesn't take all that much equipment, space or time and you save a lot of coin,. Plus you have the satisfaction of knowing that it was done right. It also is not all that "hard" to do. It is more about finesse than brawn, though you will work up a sweat at some times of the year. Save money at the gym too!

I have no intention of doing this myself. How long it'd take to build that finesse, I don't know. Not planning on attempting it anytime soon. I think that I may try Mojoguzzi's route when the time comes... That is a smokin deal! the local place that Yorksman suggests in a last minute pinch. I find that fairly reasonable.