My Motorcycle Accident

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BLUFF: motorcycling is more fun when you can do it on your term. No one said you can’t take a time out.

I have ended up taking a couple of breaks from motorcycling. The first time was not by my choice and I sold my bike. The second one life and inconveniences got in the way.

The first several years was because my knees got real bad when I was in the service. I had a hard time walking and couldn't even imagine getting on a bike. It was so bad, I had old ladies that would pass me in Walmart. I sold my dream bike at that time a 03 Buell Firebolt Xb12R. I hated to see it go, but I knew I couldn't get on it or even move it in the garage. That's a real hard thing for a kid in their 20s to swallow.

The great news is that my knees got better with going to an office job, wearing tennis shoes all the time, and moving to a warmer climate. My knees are much better now, but still not anywhere near what they should be for my age. As they started to get better, and the pain started to go away I kept thinking about motorcycles. At one point I thought I might have to end up on a trike, THANK GOD that didn’t have to happen yet. I fully expect that someday I will have to do that.

I bought a used gen 2 FZ1, and was able to get myself back into motorcycles. I was able to ride it a good bit. There were some nice roads near Chattanooga. We ended up moving again. The bike came with us that time. I rode it a lot the year we moved to VA. I was working from home and didn’t know anyone in the area. I found Tour of Honor. I ended up doing a lot of miles chasing down memorial sites for Tour of Honor, I even added a SS1k with Tour of Honor sites.

We moved towns, we went from a house that had a 1.5 car garage to a house without a garage. The bike ended up parked in the sun room. PO converted a car port into an enclosed sun room. It truly was a pain in the ass to get it in and out of there. I had to push it out a standard door and then ride it through the back yard to get to the street. The back yard has a nice grade to it, and it always made me nervous. In order to put it back, I had to push it up a ramp to get it back into the standard door. That was a large inconvenience, and I only did it a couple of times. At that time I ended up taking a couple of classes and just never got around to riding the bike during that time.

Last year we were able to convert the sun room back to a 1 car garage. It is long enough that I can park the bike sideways in front of the wife's SUV. Classes were done, and the accessibility was back.

I also joined a veteran’s motorcycle association. That has done for me last year, what the Tour of Honor did for me when I moved to VA. It gave me destinations. I love riding the twisty roads around here, but destinations also gives me a reason to get out and travel. Last year I put about 5K miles on the FZ1. I took trips to TN, WV, NC, and OH. Then I got the dumb decision that I wanted to ride to Boise Idaho this summer for the national meeting. I could never work out the logistics of riding the FZ1 2500 miles one way. I traded the 07 FZ1 for a 2013 FJR. I miss the FZ1, but couldn't be happier with the decision. I have put about 2000 mile on the FJR in the 6 months that I have owned it. It has had to sit a lot recently, because of the weather.

I have rides planned for SC, NC, DC, KY and ID. I cannot wait for those trips.

When you are ready, you will get the bug back and those 2 years will seem like nothing.

I hope to see you on the rode!!!

Matt

JB, Hans.

Did not mean to diss you..

Ride to the Hondarosa, if you want, we'll put your new bike on the lift.

If OK with you, I'll share what I check every time before I mount and ride.

Seriously hope I did not offend you with previous post.

-dcarver

I can relate to this as I lost some of the steering travel to the right. For a couple weeks I felt very unstable turning right, and kept looking for the cause. Eventually I finally found a flanged nut that was laying on the lower steering triple clamp that was preventing full-travel. It was absolutely invisible I was fortunate not to wreck, but I don't travel in the heavy traffic you do. I absolutely knew something was interfering with the steering travel, suspected horns, wiring and other obstacles, and couldn't see the bolt laying on the tripple clamp next to the stops.

JB, Hans.
Did not mean to diss you..

Ride to the Hondarosa, if you want, we'll put your new bike on the lift.

If OK with you, I'll share what I check every time before I mount and ride.

Seriously hope I did not offend you with previous post.

-dcarver
Not at all, Don! On the contrary, I very much appreciated your earlier post. In fact it delighted me, because the concern and love (I think that was your word, and I'm very okay with that) came through quite clearly. I only regret I did not respond quickly enough to obviate your concern and sense that you needed to write your second post.

And I agree with you: We are always, every time, 100% responsible for our bikes and our own safety. Because we're the ones going to the hospital. "It wasn't my fault" cuts no ice with motorcyclists who are honest with themselves (or thrive in the long term).

And I also appreciate your invitation to visit, reiterated in your second post. I look forward to that soon.

friends.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to thank everyone who has responded in this thread to my [okay, somewhat prolix
rolleyes.gif
] narrative about my accident crash (thanks, Skoot
smile.png
).

It's been awhile since I posted here, and I wasn't sure how folks would react. The answer is with great warmth, and kindness, and concern, and consideration. And also with great advice based on their wisdom gained from long experience as riders and...as people.

I am humbled and very grateful for the comments and the friendships.

heart.gif

JB, glad to see you are posting again and thank you for sharing. I have missed your postings as they usually give me pause to think about it (whatever your topic was).
One of the good things is you were able to figure out without any doubt what the cause was. There are many who never know that and doubt their ability. That leaves it up to your feelings about riding again. As Ray and others have said, do it if you enjoy it, but don't force it. (And don't be a stranger - you are one of those that help make this forum a great place)
Thank you for your kind words. I hope to see you on the road.

Nice to hear from you JB. The accident may have dampened your enthusiasm for riding but thankfully it did not harm your talent for making a long novel out of a short story.
I appreciate that. But Dickens and Faulkner and Garcia Marquez are not for everyone.
graduated.gif

So I arranged to have a Cliff Notes version made for those who like to get to the point faster. I'm also working on a Japanese haiku version.

Click Here to see the cover of the Cliff Notes version of J. Burleigh's "My Motorcycle Accident."

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see you posting again, Hans, and very glad that your incident wasn't any worse and that you're here to live and possibly ride another day. Every person that I've known, myself included, goes through a varying time period where they question whether or not to ride anymore. It's part of the healing process in your heart and mind. And whatever decision you come to will be the right one for you. None of us can answer that question for you... I hope you find that joy of riding again but, if not, I hope you find the next best thing that will make your heart and soul happy. You are always welcome on any of my rides in whatever vehicle you choose.
love.gif
Thank you, Tyler. Your words are always an inspiration, and always from the heart. I know you went through a lot of pain to get back to where you are, so your wisdom and advice were hard-won. See you down the road.

Damn JB! First of all, there is no such thing as an accident. It's a crash. Caused by reasons. In your case, you are well aware.
As for for your whole story - that's really pucked up!

I can't believe you trashed that pristine FJR I checked out for you!!!
Yeah, I pucked it up all right. I may need your services again to test ride a bike for me. Stay tuned....
laugh.png

Really glad I ran across this thread. JB, where ever your path takes you, I hope it's a good one. Thanks to you and all the others for sharing the wisdom and lessons learned.

Safe journeys to all.