2009 Gen2 died while riding to work - frustrating and I need some advise please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph lovegren

Reaction score
I just installed new fork seals.
2 days later, while on my way to the freeway the bike just died.
The check light illuminated.
It would turn over but not start.
I pulled over turned it off and then back on and it started. It did this two more times between then and getting back home (I will work from home today).

I have checked and the Ground Joint Connector recall has not been done. I purchased the bike used.

I went into diagnostic mode and there seemed to be no codes listed. I checked all the data and 61 shows 19 although I did not notice an error code while riding.

I do have the manual but it doesn't seem to be useful.

Is this the kind of problem that would be fixed with the "spider recall"?

The bike is 2009 and my local dealer won't work on "because it is too old". Does anyone else have this problem? Can I fix it myself?

I have not seen anything that exactly covers this.
I am asking for advise and help. This is my daily transportation.

I think your bike is to new for the ignition switch recall and not sure either on the spider recall years either. It's been a long time since we have heard much about the spider bites. Before the recall for the ignition switch came out one of the members Bodie came out with a relay to bypass the big power going thru the switch, that connection is behind the steering head on my 07. Could you have bumped it? There was some good write ups on the spider bite problem and where to look for them. Brodie also developed a harness that plugged into the FJR harness to strengthen the grounding circuit that I installed. I recall also folks instrument panel going bonkers, hopefully other old timers will chime in.

Not likely a "spider" issue. I would expect to see stuff like high beam indicator lit, windshield mechanism or glove box solenoid not working, both signal light indicators dimly lit etc.
Fault code 19:
1704227911650.png

You might check to make sure the ECU connector is clean and firmly seated.
Clear the code and see if it reappears. Sometimes codes pop up almost randomly - especially if voltage has been low at some point such as trying to start with a weak battery. If it goes away and doesn't return then the fault code may be a red herring.

An intermittent ignition switch could do it.
The 2009 had a recall for both the ground junction and ignition switch.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2009/YAMAHA/FJR1300#recalls

Not likely a "spider" issue. I would expect to see stuff like high beam indicator lit, windshield mechanism or glove box solenoid not working, both signal light indicators dimly lit etc.
Fault code 19:
View attachment 6151

You might check to make sure the ECU connector is clean and firmly seated.
Clear the code and see if it reappears. Sometimes codes pop up almost randomly - especially if voltage has been low at some point such as trying to start with a weak battery. If it goes away and doesn't return then the fault code may be a red herring.

An intermittent ignition switch could do it.
The 2009 had a recall for both the ground junction and ignition switch.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2009/YAMAHA/FJR1300#recalls
When I looked it up, the only recall that is due is this spider and an air hose relocation.
I called Yamaha because my local dealer said it was cancelled. Not true. Yamaha called them to clear it up.
I will start with that.

It is possible that I bumped wires on the right / left side near the turn signal indicators. I did remove and reinstall the indicators.

When I looked it up, the only recall that is due is this spider and an air hose relocation.
I called Yamaha because my local dealer said it was cancelled. Not true. Yamaha called them to clear it up.
I will start with that.

It is possible that I bumped wires on the right / left side near the turn signal indicators. I did remove and reinstall the indicators.
Double check to make sure the ignition switch recall was performed.
Didn't know about a hose relocation - must be a technical service bulletin, not a recall.

I had a 09 that had a factory recall on the spider, I think #7, left hand side. I discovered the recall while installing the Brodie Spider Bite loom. I also have the ignition switch relay fix if this can be of help to you. The 09 is being parted out due to a trash truck backing into the bike and dragging it. I will be posting parts at a later date. Anyone need Gen2 parts hit me up.

You said you did the fork seals two days before the problem started. I'm guessing a wire got loosened while removing the forks. I would start there. If you can get it to start again, start moving the wires around and see if the bike stops. There are alot of wires in the fairing and it would make sense if one got loosened removing the forks. Also make sure your battery has full voltage. A low battery can cause all kinds of gremlins to appear.

If you noticed lights or gauges flickering while riding that would lead me to suspect a battery ground. My 05 had that problem at the frame connection once.

I had a 09 that had a factory recall on the spider, I think #7, left hand side. I discovered the recall while installing the Brodie Spider Bite loom. I also have the ignition switch relay fix if this can be of help to you. The 09 is being parted out due to a trash truck backing into the bike and dragging it. I will be posting parts at a later date. Anyone need Gen2 parts hit me up.
I just sent you separate post regarding a part I’m looking for. Thanks, Tom

This happened to me after filling up; bike died & wouldn't restart.

Blew the 10amp ignition fuse (no idea why). Replaced said fuse and no problems since. You might be experiencing the same issue.

I did remove and reinstall the indicators.
I'd re-trace your steps. It often is the last thing you touched ... and/or the battery has to be fully charged (or replaced) and many folks are good to go!

Check the kick-stand switch.
I had my 2007 cut out a couple of times before I figured it out. Take the switch off clean and lube, or get a new one. I after cleaning and lube (normal grease) it worked fine so I have a space new switch.