2009 Gen2 died while riding to work - frustrating and I need some advise please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrote this a few years ago. I was having similar issues...

I had issues somewhat like that two years ago. Just for laughs, take the battery terminal screws completely out. Once you have them in your hand, thread the nuts onto the screws, and make sure they go all the way up to the head of the screw. The threads on mine were corroded near the top, and wouldn't clamp the terminals tight enough to have good consistent contact. They FEEL like they're tight when installed, but they are not. I hope the problem you have is that simple. Pretty easy to check.

I wrote this a few years ago. I was having similar issues...

I had issues somewhat like that two years ago. Just for laughs, take the battery terminal screws completely out. Once you have them in your hand, thread the nuts onto the screws, and make sure they go all the way up to the head of the screw. The threads on mine were corroded near the top, and wouldn't clamp the terminals tight enough to have good consistent contact. They FEEL like they're tight when installed, but they are not. I hope the problem you have is that simple. Pretty easy to check.

Wow! That's a quirky issue! Tough one to diagnose!

I had a 09 that had a factory recall on the spider, I think #7, left hand side. I discovered the recall while installing the Brodie Spider Bite loom. I also have the ignition switch relay fix if this can be of help to you. The 09 is being parted out due to a trash truck backing into the bike and dragging it. I will be posting parts at a later date. Anyone need Gen2 parts hit me up.
Thanks. I may be interested in this loom.

As it turns out the subleads were installed back in 2012.

I may need to find everything that could be related - located near the turn signals because I had my hands in there just before this problem.

Check the kick-stand switch.
I had my 2007 cut out a couple of times before I figured it out. Take the switch off clean and lube, or get a new one. I after cleaning and lube (normal grease) it worked fine so I have a space new switch.
Go into Diagnostic and read your FSM.on how to acess it checks side side switch on/off and checks injectors and resistors in spark plugs etc Chapter 8 has a list of error codes and what to check.