gas station clock wrong?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wistrick

Reaction score
I am 2 weeks away from my first SS1000 attempt, and found out this weeknd the gas station that I want to start at, the clocks are 15 min fast @ the pump...I wondering if it a big deal since I will be using it as my end point as well....I was reading on the web site that I can use an ATM recipt as well, should I go this route...I live in a small town where there aren't many stations open 24/7 and I plan to leave at 4 am

thoughts

Dan,

If you're using the same station for start / finish, shouldn't be a big deal Dan. More than likely you'll be done in a lot less than 24 hours anyway.

Plan the ride and ride the plan!

--G

If you're using the same station for start / finish, shouldn't be a big deal Dan. More than likely you'll be done in a lot less than 24 hours anyway.
Plan the ride and ride the plan!

--G
withstupidsmiley.gif

Notify the store that their time is off on the pumps.

Then there is the duplicate receipt from the cash register inside.

Make sure you make a notation in your log IF the time is off. Don't stress the small stuff, it's the

Closed night station with the pumps on that does not spit a receipt and on the pump reads "Go see attendant" that sucks. In that case get another receipt from a nearby location ASAP.

Have a good ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Closed night station with the pumps on that spits out a "Go see attendant" that sucks."

When John Ryan made his record Deadhorse to Key West ride we met him in Fairbanks at a fuel station and car wash. John washed the mud off his wheels, put on his side cases that we had held for him and then refueled. It was around 3AM and the pump spit out the dreaded message shown above. I went to a nearby ATM to use John's card to get some cash and a receipt. The ATM was inop. John left and at 8AM Spousal Unit and I went back to the station to get a receipt. The attendant hit print on her register and about 140 receipts came out. It was easy to find John's and I mailed it to him for his records.

I had the same issue last year before taking off on my SS1K except the pumps were off by 42 minutes. I just talked with the store manager and he reset the time while I was standing there. The next day I fueled up and got a properly time stamped receipt. I had my starting witness right there also.

Fifteen minutes is not bad by gas station standards, but that doesn't help you.

If I were doing this ride I would fill the bike at the gas station, then go get a start receipt from the ATM. A "balance inquiry" should do it. That would then be your start receipt and the time will be accurate.

You then have a choice of end receipt as you should be back in plenty of time.

It'll only make a difference if your "fifteen minutes late" I would make sure that running out of time is not a factor with certification of your run. You can do it in less then 24 hours easily and safely, just stay on task, it's not that hard. Have fun!
smile.png

I had the same issue last year before taking off on my SS1K except the pumps were off by 42 minutes. I just talked with the store manager and he reset the time while I was standing there. The next day I fueled up and got a properly time stamped receipt. I had my starting witness right there also.
This is what I meant on my first line of action "Notify the store that their time is off on their pumps"

It is far enough in advance for them to correct it.

… If they don't want to- Then pose as a federal EPA inspector…
rolleyes.gif

You're all good - just post up an RR after you get done rocking it out.
Will do...I have turned on tracking on my Spot and willl setup a route Spotwalla trip for anybody that want to follow....

thanks for all the help

Dan

Heck. Just tal to the attendant, get the date/time in writing on the receipt, their signature and name, and the phone number of the station.

I've gotten hand-written receipts when the place didn't even offer print outs. †hat was the info that was put on there and the ride was approved.

Heck. Just tal to the attendant, get the date/time in writing on the receipt, their signature and name, and the phone number of the station.
I've gotten hand-written receipts when the place didn't even offer print outs. †hat was the info that was put on there and the ride was approved.
You can normally hand-correct ONE item on a computer receipt (usually the time), and it will be accepted.

You CANNOT hand-correct a receipt that is used either for the start or the finish of a Certificate Ride.

If you're starting an stopping at the same station, I can't see how being 15 minutes off on both ends will affect anything. *shrugs*

Of course, they'd probably fix it while you were riding :lol:

FYI - the pumps at gas stations get the time from the cash register almost 100% of the time.

They talk with each other exclusively and nowadays are dependent on one another..... depending on the system of course, but if its taking a credit card the gas pumps have to have security in place like "SSL" for computers to take ATM cards almost like a nation wide banking law. they have become very comprehensive and complex.

That being said, you could probably call them and see if they'd be willing to fix the clock, its not that hard to change the time on a computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI - the pumps at gas stations get the time from the cash register almost 100% of the time.
You might want to be aware too that the cash register receipts at Loves Truck Stops do NOT print the time, although the gas pumps do and they are usually accurate.

This nearly caught me out badly on a rally. I stopped the clock for a Rest Bonus when I bought a cup of Hot Chocolate at around 11.15 pm. ABout 40 mins later I checked the receipt and there was no time stamp on it ... and the ATM was broken.

I hurriedly stuck a gallon of gas in the bike and got a good receipt .... It cost me 40 minutes of my rest bonus @ 6 points per minute. Five minutes later I would have been DNF for failing to make the compulsory rest stop in a timely manner.

Lesson Learned ... Check the damned receipts when you get them!