Alpinestar Toucan boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of these for use on the KTM 1190R today, but after wearing them around, think these might be totally suitable for the FJR. They felt immediately comfortable like I had broken them in for months, and not at all stiff, and with excellent ankle and shin armor. Two simple ski-boot style clasps and they are buckled in, and Gortex insures a waterproof boot.

I've been wearing an Alpinestar gortex street riding boot for the FJR and a motocross boot for the dirt bikes. The street boot has great feel for the brake and shifter but lacks the really good ankle and shin protection; the motocross boot lacks the feel and is tough to walk around in but has great protection. The Toucan is not quite in the middle, as it has the comfort and flex of the street boot but lacks the very tactile feel in the sole. I think it is a great all-in-one boot, however, excellent for dual sport and super comfy enough for the FJR.

Only downside is cost. Even with a deal from the local dealer, it as $425 plus tax, easily the most I've spent on a riding boot by 2x. But it would meet the needs for 2 boots, so in that sense, it is still a relatively good deal.

They run wider than the narrow Sidi boots. I'm not quite a "E" but these fit great, with room to cinch tighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pair of Toucan boots, and have put a good number of miles with them on the FJR. I agree that they "can" work on the FJR, but are not great on a road bike, now ADV bike would be no issue.

You might consider a pair of SIDI Armada boots for lighter off-road and well protected on-road riding, I have a set of Armadas so am speaking from personal experience, the Armada boots are arguably the best boots (even straight out of the box) I've ever owned - around $400 from Revzilla, with all the Gortex, etc. features of the Toucan.

James, what didn't you like about them for the FJR? I know they made improvements to the new versions, primarily with a revised buckle and more flexibility, which probably explains the $65 price increase. Note to anyone interested: be sure you know whether the version you are ordering is the new or older version (older version retails for $435).

The SIDI runs way to narrow for me, otherwise agree about them being great boots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hudson, the Toucan is a great boot, but I found it to be a little too bulky, with less feel than I like on the FJR. The Armada feels almost like a sport boot...

The other thing I found with the Toucan boots on the FJR is that they were chewing up the rubber on the shift side foot peg at an alarming rate :)

Agree on the feel. My regular Alpinestar street boots are much more flexible with a lighter sole and have much more feel for the shifter and foot brake.

Latest posts