High speed engine vibs, normal or not

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy96

Reaction score
Hey feejer lovers, got a quick discussion topic on my '05 gen1. As we all know the feejer could put a Harley to shame by balancing a cup of water on the tank perfectly still while idling all day long, but my question is about the engine vibs through the upper half of the rpm range. I'm talking approx. 4grand on up. I notice mine has a rather annoying vibration issue from 70-80mph, then smooth's out some up until around 100 or so. From there on it's just unpleasant to hold it at high speed because of the vibs through the bars and pegs. Yes, I've confirmed it's the engine and not tires, plus I run Michelins anyway;) Curious if you guys experience the same? Do you know if you can adjust the engine balancers to help with that? Recommend any better aftermarket bar end weights to help out? Thanks!

In what gear? Assuming 5th.

How many miles?

Have you run any fuel injector cleaner such as Techron through the engine?

As enamoring as the adjusters look on the balancers, they are for adjusting the gear lash of the balancers, not for adjusting the actual balancer.

Have you taken a look at the throttle body synch?

When is the engine due for the next valve check?

70ish mph there is a bit of a common 4k buzz on the FJR. For me it's when I wind out 3rd gear my seat buzz's. I'm talking 5-9k.

As we all know the feejer could put a Harley to shame by balancing a cup of water on the tank perfectly still while idling all day long

iirc, the true test requires a full can of beer!
tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an in-line four ... some vibration is inevitable, it's why they have balancing shafts.

There are a number of things you can do to minimize it, or shift the frequency:

1. Ensure throttle bodies are sync'ed.

2. Make sure fueling and spark plugs are in good order.

3. Re-torque engine mounts and make sure they are in good condition.

4. Fitting heavier or different weight bar-ends will shift frequency.

Others may have other ideas.

My 07 has heavy throttlemeister bar ends / MCL bar triple clamp riser and there is virtually no vibration. My 11 has the Motorrad riser plate and I just put on the smaller throttlemeisters to correct vibration between 3000 and 4000. This helped somewhat but it still vibrates on the throttle side. I'll have to start with the other suggestions listed.

Make sure the engine mounts are torqued in the proper sequence. FJR's are a little rough in the 4000 - 4200 RPM range, not terrible more annoying than anything.

--G

Make sure the engine mounts are torqued in the proper sequence. FJR's are a little rough in the 4000 - 4200 RPM range, not terrible more annoying than anything.
--G
"Annoying" is a good description. Also, it vibrates things on RAM mounts with the RAM arms amplifying the movement. It kept causing my phone to stop charging.

I have exactly the same vibes in the same rpm range as yours in my 03/abs the last nine years...It is normal i think....
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Yes high RPM vibrations are normal. I have posted to those complaining about vibrations at 4k to try riding at 8.5K. Looks like you have. Your tolerance (as well as all humans) is the variable. There is NO HARD acelerometer based vibration guidlines that give a defined GO/NOGO. I wish there were.

I personally believe it was designed in to limit your desire to go fast, therefore preventing government mandated speed or displacment limitations.