App for Tracking Rides on iPhone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ber

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest an app for the iPhone (preferably free) that tracks your motorcycle ride/route, as you ride? I've found a few that just show the map of where you've ridden, and include total distance and riding time, but I'd like one that will list every major road/route (like Google Maps step by step list when you pre-plan a route), but this would be for where you've already ridden...you know...for those random wandering around type rides, and you don't remember all the turns but would like to take the trip again. :)

Search for SW Connect in the App Store. It works really well. It came from an RV website but I use it on the FJR all the time. Will work with Spotwalla too. From Spotwalla you can download the track and save it to import into something like Tyre on your laptop. Not sure if this fits the bill for what you are looking for or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned swconnect, if you turn on background updates on your phone, will track and post to spotwalla, then export from spotwalla in gpx or XML format, then import to basecamp or google maps

Am I making this more difficult than it needs to be ?

Search for SW Connect in the App Store. It works really well. It came from an RV website but I use it on the FJR all the time. Will work with Spotwalla too. From Spotwalla you can download the track and save it to import into something like Tyre on your laptop. Not sure if this fits the bill for what you are looking for or not.
that's what i use. works great. here's a current trip.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=af3253ecc973f08b7

SWConnect + Spotwalla works great for tracking, but as mentioned previously, MotionX GPS is a great app if you want to generate and keep stats on your trip - distance traveled, elevation and speed profiles, etc... and you can plot your route against road maps, topo maps, satellite images, etc.....

Between the two you can end up with some great info to record your travels....

... and you can "create a trip" from old data; just specify a start and end time that brackets the data points you want to display.

Bubbler will track you as you ride.
Last I knew, this app was for Android only, not iPhonies. Of course I could be wrong.
wink.png

... and you can "create a trip" from old data; just specify a start and end time that brackets the data points you want to display.
Thank goodness - I never knew about this! I have some private trips including data I'd rather not make public. I mistakenly erased the trip and thought that data was gone forever.

Awesome tip!

Any GPS-enabled app will drain a battery on any phone. You HAVE to provide external power to them to use them for more than (maybe an hour).

Right. I mount mine on the Bone and run power to it, works great all day. Use Waze for GPS and "intelligence" along the route

Any GPS-enabled app will drain a battery on any phone. You HAVE to provide external power to them to use them for more than (maybe an hour).
I have no problem using Bubbler on my (Android) Samsung Galaxy S4 for an entire (long) day of riding with the thing set to 5 minute updates. It is a bit hard on the battery life but still OK for the day. Don't know about the iPhone apps.

Some of it has to do with how "a day" is defined. For some people that's well within battery-only lifetimes. For others it's not.

Here's my recent Denver IBA Nation trip. The big jump is the return trip where I forgot to turn it back on when heading back. Set the view options to:

History=ALL

Fill %=ALL

And then refresh with the GO button.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=af3253ecc973f08b7

I have set mine up for 5 minute update intervals (instead of the 1 minute updates you used). I don't have that much need for higher resolution although I can understand why some might need/want it. I have managed 14 hours (or more) on batteries alone and did not end out with a dead phone at the end of it. In any case, I like to keep my phone charged and often plug it in when I am on the bike. Don't want to arrive somewhere and not have enough juice to check weather etc and make a couple of calls (not to mention checking FJRForum updates).

Yeah. I changed it to 5 or 15 minutes in the past but it must have reverted to default during an update.

It was a good reminder to check your settings before each trip.