• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

GenI (2004) Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
The main ignition switch (that's the one where the key goes) on my bike is being a PITA. I've sprayed a shit-ton (that means a lot) of silicon lube in there and it's still an exercise in patience getting the damn key to move from Off to Lock, Lock to Off, or Off to On.

Anyone happen to have a GenI ignition switch on their hands?

Thanks.

Do all your ignition keys cause a PITA?

You could pull the ignition switch, climb on your Hardly Roadmasher and take a field trip to Bust's place and have a tumbler party with him and get your switch tuned up. Just don't let the bookcase getcha. Heck, you don't even have to take the ignition switch off the plate, just bring the whole thing to Bust and innocently ask how one gets screws out that don't have a head.

The new (updated) switch is approx 50$ and has the added bonus of increasing the reliability of the switch.

Do all your ignition keys cause a PITA?
You could pull the ignition switch, climb on your Hardly Roadmasher and take a field trip to Bust's place and have a tumbler party with him and get your switch tuned up. Just don't let the bookcase getcha. Heck, you don't even have to take the ignition switch off the plate, just bring the whole thing to Bust and innocently ask how one gets screws out that don't have a head.
Yep - they all do, Alan. That was the first thing I tried. And I don't have the Harley any more - sold 'er in May 2013. But that reminds me - we need to start talking to figger out when we're gonna have our next Tech Day up there.

The new (updated) switch is approx 50$ and has the added bonus of increasing the reliability of the switch.
$50? Dang - the ones I have been finding are triple that!

IIRC, it's the Gen II switch for the recall that's priced in this range. I think a new Gen I switch is still in the $150 range.

The new gen II switch is the replacement part number. Mine fit (almost) with no issues. I couldn't get the steering lock to work correctly. AFAIK the gen I switch was never updated.

....i use bike aid...its graphite in suspension and although it still takes a jiggle sometimes my ign still works 10 years outside....available at bicycle shops....i advise heavily against smelling the seats....they seem to be sensitive to this....spandex vacuums...

That FJR is so roach you donna need no key lock thingie! Use this instead!

plastic_toggle_switch.jpg

The new gen II switch is the replacement part number. Mine fit (almost) with no issues. I couldn't get the steering lock to work correctly. AFAIK the gen I switch was never updated.
Interesting idea. To be sure I understand, you are saying that the GEN2 switch will fit a Gen 1, and all the wires match up, and the only issue is the steering lock? Or did you also have to do some work on the wires?

It's plug and play. I'm thinking the lock is an issue with my bike as the previous lock gave me minor issues. If you search the archives here for the TSB for the recalled bikes, it gives you the shop instructions as well as the part numbers. If you search Brodie's posts it comes up quick.

It's plug and play. I'm thinking the lock is an issue with my bike as the previous lock gave me minor issues. If you search the archives here for the TSB for the recalled bikes, it gives you the shop instructions as well as the part numbers. If you search Brodie's posts it comes up quick.
Excellent. Than you.