Electronics Accessories Question - Charging Cell Phone on Gen 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to this forum and the world of FJRs. If this question has been asked I apologize I have been looking and cannot find it.

So I am wanting to get a cigarette lighter kit or something of the sorts for charging my phone while going down the road since I use it as my navigation system.

My question is: I would have no problem buying a kit, but would it be safe to just get one of the converters and run it off my battery tender cable? I have seen kits that run a connector similar to the battery tender with the SAE connector. But I am not sure if those have different fuses, resistors, or load capabilities. I do not want to kill my bike or cause problems to my phone.

Thanks for the help.

Again I apologize if this question has been asked.

Best-

John

Last edited by a moderator:
What ever system you end up with, there should be a fuse between the battery or switched ignition power and the USB port. There are weatherproof cigarette lighters and automotive USB ports. Several places make powerlet ports specifically for the FJR that mount on the frame near the front/rear seat junction.

Your computer or laptop USB 2.0 port usually puts out 0.5 amps @ 5 volts which makes for a long, slow charge rate. You can use a USB charger with a typical output of 5 volts @ 2.1 to 3.0 amps to power your phone. An iPhone wall outlet to USB charger is 2.1 amps (10.5 watts) and this is typical for Androids too.

Do a Google search using: 12vdc to USB adapter and you will see a range of devices you can use to narrow the selection.

Hi there, I am new to this forum and the world of FJRs. If this question has been asked I apologize I have been looking and cannot find it.

So I am wanting to get a cigarette lighter kit or something of the sorts for charging my phone while going down the road since I use it as my navigation system.

My question is: I would have no problem buying a kit, but would it be safe to just get one of the converters and run it off my battery tender cable? I have seen kits that run a connector similar to the battery tender with the SAE connector. But I am not sure if those have different fuses, resistors, or load capabilities. I do not want to kill my bike or cause problems to my phone.

Thanks for the help.

Best-

John

Battery tender routed to your glove box. I have a USB connector in there with 4 ports. I can charge my phone and my helmet from there. Also I can run my GPS and Radar detector. All of this at the same time. My USB port has a voltage draw limiter on it. USB doesnt take very much.

I just drilled a 3/8ths hole in the sidewall of the glovebox and ran the battery tender cable in there. That is where power goes in. Out the same hole comes the smaller wires for my Garmin, I-phone, Radar, and Micro usb for my helmet. I kinda use it like some are using their electronics distribution tank bags.

It works good.

Okay great, thanks!

So do you just route the power back out to where you have your GPS mounted, or do you keep your phone and things like that in the glove box?

I need to fix my glove box cause currently it doesnt stay shut but that should not be a problem.

Also what brand USB connector do you use? Itd be nice to get one that already has a power voltage limiter on it.

Thanks for the help.

-John

Thanks for the help.

Best-

John

Thanks for the help.

Best-

John
You know, I think it was asked before. Roughly 4 minutes ago! ;)

Battery tender routed to your glove box. I have a USB connector in there with 4 ports. I can charge my phone and my helmet from there. Also I can run my GPS and Radar detector. All of this at the same time. My USB port has a voltage draw limiter on it. USB doesnt take very much.

I just drilled a 3/8ths hole in the sidewall of the glovebox and ran the battery tender cable in there. That is where power goes in. Out the same hole comes the smaller wires for my Garmin, I-phone, Radar, and Micro usb for my helmet. I kinda use it like some are using their electronics distribution tank bags.

It works good.
Another alternative is to install a battery tender cable and leave it near the steering stem. Then wire a tank bag up with one of those multi-port cigarette lighter socket things. This is what I do and power all of my gadgets (excepting our heated gear) via that one battery tender connection.
It makes it quick and easy to pop off and stash away with all the expensive goodies inside when you stop for the night.

Thanks for the help.

Best-

John

Thanks for the help.

Best-

John
You know, I think it was asked before. Roughly 4 minutes ago!
wink.png

It works good.
Another alternative is to install a battery tender cable and leave it near the steering stem. Then wire a tank bag up with one of those multi-port cigarette lighter socket things. This is what I do and power all of my gadgets (excepting our heated gear) via that one battery tender connection.
It makes it quick and easy to pop off and stash away with all the expensive goodies inside when you stop for the night.
Yea I am not sure what happened there, sorry about that! Thanks :) haha pretty new to the forum thing.

Okay great, thanks!
So do you just route the power back out to where you have your GPS mounted, or do you keep your phone and things like that in the glove box?

I need to fix my glove box cause currently it doesnt stay shut but that should not be a problem.

Also what brand USB connector do you use? Itd be nice to get one that already has a power voltage limiter on it.

Thanks for the help.

-John
I have two X grips. One has the gps and the other has my phone. Radar detector is mounted on the brake res top. If I want so sucky at posting pictures, I would take a pick of it.

The power cords coming out of the USB block are small and don't take much to feed back through the small hole that brings the power into the glove box.

I like cords that have a coiled effect. Keeps them from flopping around