Checking Rear Brake Fluid: Panel F removal problem [GenI]

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icedbreaks

Reaction score
I feel crazy about this. I don't want to ruin this decal or destroy the plastic panel... I'm not doing anything complicated on my 2005 FJR1300A

I'm trying to check the rear brake fluid reservoir because I haven't yet found my mystery leak. I need to remove panel F of my FJR and there is one bolt I can't access. I think it is behind this Yamaha sticker. Thoughts?

FJR-Sidepanel-F.png

IMG_1601-e1411428722558.jpg

I think it is behind this Yamaha sticker. Thoughts?
Yep, it is. And that sticker ain't stock on any Gen 1 I've ever seen. Regardless, pretty good chance if you gently pry part of it up...you can get an allen wrench in there, remove, and put back with whatever sticky residue remains on the sticker.

There was a little decal. The bolt was beneath it.

The next issue: the brake fluid looked okay. I took the bike on a ten mile test ride. Found no liquids on the rear tire, but the whole wheel had an even, fine layer of what appeared to be soot. Now, I'm a little worried.

Here is a summary of my incident:

FJR1300: Mystery Leak - DJJoyride.com

https://www.djjoyride.com/general/fjr1300-mystery-leak/

Maybe a bit of lube from the final drive. Picks up dirt and brake dust. Either a very small leak (check weep hole) or a small amount of overflow while filling. Doesn't take much.

Is the rear brake dragging? How hot does the rear rotor get after riding? Final drive overfilled?

The rear rim gathers road grime / dirt at a much greater rate than the front, so it'll look worse quicker. I'd clean the rear rim with soap & water to make sure you don't have an oily film on it, take it for a short ride and then see what you have.

--G

Isn't there rubber that keeps the final drive oil in place, which can let some oil seep out to dribble out the weep hole on the swing arm? I might be having a look there, can't be all that bad if you're going in there to lube splines anyway.