The Dalton and FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ4863

Reaction score
Title says it's all. Has anyone other than John Ryan taken their bike to Deadhorse?? I've seen some of his posts, while I make no illusions at being able to come close to his speed on the dalton, I've got questions for someone with first hand experience.

Haven't ridden up the Dalton, but the hubby and I rode FJRs up the Dempster to Inuvik. Depending on what questions you're looking to have answered, I may be of some help.

I'm curious about actual road conditions. I know they're constantly in flux but things like how rutted is the road. Will the FJR have enough ground clearance? Like basically how possible is it for an average rider to make it without too many issues? I know john Ryan had a skid plate made and I can get that. I'm also of the thought he was a significantly better rider than I am.

I rode a 650 KLR down the Dalton a few years back and most people make riding the Dalton sound a lot worse that what it is actually. There is a lot of pavement on the Dalton most of the way to Coldfoot and then the last 300 miles to Deadhorse is hardpacked gravel. On the gravel up on the North Slope we were running 50 to 60 MPH with no problems. With proper rubber I would have no concerns going up there but personally I would not take a bike that I like up there.

They use a calcium compound of the gravel for dust control that gets caked on the bike and can plug up the rad. The calcium also is very corrosive on the aluminum parts of an FJR and will cause significant damage. There is no car wash in Deadhorse to clean the bike and if you hit a couple of wet days you will not be happy.

Also plan on carrying spare gas because there is no service points between Coldfoot and Deadhorse unless something has changed in the past few years.

I knew about the gas and calcium. Everyone says a power wash in civilization is a necessity. It's the gravel I'm concerned with since I have minimal off pavement experience. Scratch that, make that no off pavement. Change tires on the FJR to almost knobbies?

I knew about the gas and calcium. Everyone says a power wash in civilization is a necessity. It's the gravel I'm concerned with since I have minimal off pavement experience. Scratch that, make that no off pavement. Change tires on the FJR to almost knobbies?
Gravel road experience is very easy to get. Most states have many hundreds of miles of them. In the main, they pose few difficulties on the FJR depending on the conditions and riding style.

I recently covered about 50 miles on gravel. Forty of that was in the dark, and 10 was on a surface much rougher than anything the Dalton has to offer. What they did NOT have was either the chloride powder, or rain. The bike is fitted with PR3s.

Go get some practise on gravel. It's fun and rewarding. It will impress you with the capability of the bike and improve your riding under all conditions. Washboard can be dealt with by increasing your speed but ruts in the direction of travel can be unsettling. They tend to grab the wheels and try to throw the bike sideways. The cure for that is to slow down. Learn to stand on the pegs for a better view of what is coming up and always keep a light touch on the bars. Favor the rear brake.

For tires, I'd pick a car tire for the rear and semi-knobblies for the front, ideally. Others may differ.

From everything I have heard about the Dalton, it is a unique challenge. Conditions can vary almost by the hour. One day you could have an uneventful ride up, wondering what the fuss was about, then find the return an absolute nightmare of mud as slick as snot. Either way, it will be an adventure and if an FJR can manage the Dempster, it can manage the Dalton.

Don't do it. Get a throw-away bike like an older dl650 suzooki, or a 5-8 year old ktm then actually have phun on the ride and don't care if you toss it to a dirt nap... too heavy, too awkward, too expensive, too too.

I lived in Fairbanks for 16 years and have been on the Dalton many times in a truck, on a snogo or on a bike. I saw every make, model and type of bike ride the Dalton. John Ryan stayed with us while he preped for his ride from Deadhorse to Key West and we were his support team when he passed thru Fairbanks on his ride south. My advice... nothing out performs a rental. John was a wonderful person and a superb rider, but he beat the shit out of his bikes. I would think twice about using him as an example for what to do on a bike that you want to keep in reasonable shape. I rode to Deadhorse once with a guy who was making his 12th trip. He said he had learned to never ride the Dalton, or Dempster, on a bike he couldn't lift over his head. He was riding a 250 at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My goal is to accomplish the uccc so I need to keep the same bike for the whole trip. That puts a rental out of the occasion. However, buying a v strom or similar may be the way to go. Somehow I knew putting the question here would bring me good answers to the questions I have.

My goal is to accomplish the uccc so I need to keep the same bike for the whole trip. That puts a rental out of the occasion. However, buying a v strom or similar may be the way to go. Somehow I knew putting the question here would bring me good answers to the questions I have.
I can give you advice and hopefully be your Key West witness. I bought the perfect bike for the ride (BMW GS650F Dakar) and because of time limitations did the ride on my FJR.

That bike is going up for sale, but I know the ride can be done easily with the FJR. An ounce of prevention on the Haul Rd. will do the trick. No stupid actions (Such as I did) and a

little more research and you will be fine. The stock tank on the FJR will get you to Coldfoot and that is the only fuel stop you will need to Deadhorse (And back). If you do have a fuel cell,

I would advise you to keep only a small amount of fuel in it on the Haul. You won't need it and there is no sense in adding to the top weight of the bike.

There is a car wash in Fairbanks with a cleaners next door for change (Coin) When you return from the Deadhorse adventure, use it well and clean the crap from your bike and your bike

will be fine. I listened to the horror stories of the road and purchased another FJR before departing on the ride. 100k later and I still have 2 FJRs (One unneeded) I started off riding trails

when I was a teen, I suppose that helped me to be comfortable with the ride. Consider this though: On the UCCC, you will be on "Good" pavement for almost 10k and on bad road for less

than 600 miles. The Duel sport bikes have no advantage (Other than they are easier to pick up) in the rough areas. The PR2s with the hard rubber (IMO) are less likely to cut than a semi-

knobby tire which will guide sharp rocks into unprotected valleys of the tire. The frost heaves on "Good" paved roads in which you have a false sense of security are a bigger threat. Putting

up triple-digit speeds on the road is just stupid. DAMHIK
rolleyes.gif

If you are not in a hurry, you can make different routes on the way up and on the way down. I did, and though it added to the mileage, I love the ride up I-15 through Montana and riding

I-90 through Badlands and Black Hill country MUCH better than the N. Dakota route.

Gotta go for now… I will add more if you want.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Canadian FJR" data-cid="1179487" data-time="1411492474"><p><a href='https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/12-touring-tales/22729-riding-trans-lab-highway.html'>https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/12-touring-tales/22729-riding-trans-lab-highway.html</a><br />

<br />

I met this gent last year. He did the TLH and the Dalton on a set of Dunlop 616s. <br />

<br />

I am currently testing a set of TKC-80s. They worked fine on the Trans Lab so I'm sure they would be good for the Dalton also.. <br />

<br />

<a href='https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/159563-fjr1300-adventure-series-1/'>https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/159563-fjr1300-adventure-series-1/</a><br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Canadian FJR</p></blockquote>

I use Dunlop 616s on my R1200R when I go north to the Yukon and Alaska. They were designed to be a rain tire for road racing but are better in loose stuff than most dual sport tires and the came in sizes to fit an FJR. Sadly, it appears they are out of production.

Rode to the Arctic Circle several years ago on the FJR friend had a Goldwing it was dry no problems. Rode a NC700X to Deadhorse this year. Waited 3 days at University of Alaska for better conditions, it only got worse rained everyday. Lot of riders came back gave up, a lot of them didn't even start out. After 3 days I left early on a rainy morning, 13 1/2 hours later I was in Deadhorse. Street tires PR4s no skidplate just ride reasonable speed . I was covered head to foot with muddy gravel the bike was a filthy mess but I was at the Prudhoe Bay Hotel. Only 2 other bikes and they had rode from Coldfoot. I left the next morning the other 2 stayed another day. It took 2 1/2 hours to get through the first 50 miles, another 13 1/2 hours ride and I was back in Fairbanks. Semi trucks travel the road everyday running street tires they call it a highway, I never passed a semi plenty of them passed me. I was trying to post a few pictures but Picasa keeps changing things I couldn't figure it out without posting my whole trip. It will beat your bike up like you never ever plan on doing , but it all cleaned up pretty good. The University is the place to stay for motorcyclist only $40 a night. This was my 3rd trip by bike to Alaska made it to Northwest Territory on this trip also .

I used to run housing at the U in Fairbanks. Good to know they are still open for riders.