Brake issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrfyghtr

Reaction score
I am normally a front brake kind of guy. I use both but always harder on the front. I was riding into work tonight and found myself on a lonely stretch of road so I said WTF. I pressed hard on just the back brake. Kind of like stepping on an over ripe tomato. My foot went almost vertical. Very little stopping noticed. As far as I could push would not engage the ABS. So this weekend I will be bleeding the brakes. I'll probably go ahead and do front and back. 24000 Miles on an 08.

I am normally a front brake kind of guy. I use both but always harder on the front. I was riding into work tonight and found myself on a lonely stretch of road so I said WTF. I pressed hard on just the back brake. Kind of like stepping on an over ripe tomato. My foot went almost vertical. Very little stopping noticed. As far as I could push would not engage the ABS. So this weekend I will be bleeding the brakes. I'll probably go ahead and do front and back. 24000 Miles on an 08.
Definitely something amiss. The rear brake adds significantly to the overall braking of an FJR - but only if it works.

I'm in the habit of using mine; extreme braking is occasionally required in our traffic. Learnt a long time ago that using the rear brake as well as the front reduces stopping distance significantly, especially on slippery roads.

Sometimes, when I'm feeling lazy, I'll brake Harley-style. Does make sure I know the back brake's working. I'll also sometimes test the ABS functionality, this will help maintain the ABS system (reduces the likelihood of corrosion/clogging in the ABS module).

I'll add to what RossKeen said, if the fluid hasn't been changed in the last two years, change it. The fluid does deteriorate because of moisture ingress, this WILL cause problems when you most need your brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been averaging over 15K per year, so I absolutely change fluid annually. I have done it twice this year due to some aggressive riding.

I found on my '08 that I had to bleed it really well (a of couple times) for it to be right. Speed Bleeders made the job easier. Don't know why I had to fuss with it more than the fronts, maybe trapped air, crud in ABS block, etc.. Still not very strong on it's own but as ^^^^^ said, combined braking with the front works great.

I found on my '08 that I had to bleed it really well (a of couple times) for it to be right. Speed Bleeders made the job easier. Don't know why I had to fuss with it more than the fronts, maybe trapped air, crud in ABS block, etc.. Still not very strong on it's own but as ^^^^^ said, combined braking with the front works great.
I think it is the long line from the rear to the front that goes up and then down to the front caliper that makes the rear harder to bleed.

Get speed bleeders. Makes the job super easy. Just have to pay attention to the reservoir level.

It's been my experience that it's hard to actuate ABS on my FJR on dry roads. This is with properly bled brakes and OEM pads. And I agree that the back brake seems anemic by itself, but it definitely adds to total braking especially because it also actuates one set of pistons on the front right caliper.

My ABS test method is very easy to do. My private road is a very steep 17 percent grade that's paved, but often has gravel washed across part of it. Going downhill across gravel results in very easy ABS activation! It does take a leap of faith to try the front brake for this test. :crazy:

It's been my experience that it's hard to actuate ABS on my FJR on dry roads. This is with properly bled brakes and OEM pads. And I agree that the back brake seems anemic by itself, but it definitely adds to total braking especially because it also actuates one set of pistons on the front right caliper.
My ABS test method is very easy to do. My private road is a very steep 17 percent grade that's paved, but often has gravel washed across part of it. Going downhill across gravel results in very easy ABS activation! It does take a leap of faith to try the front brake for this test.
crazy.gif
Interesting, as mine actuates quite easily and I get plenty of GOOD braking power from the linked brakes on my 2007.

On a lighter note concerning the front ABS, I was leaving my brother's house once and rode across his lawn. It was early morning and he yelled at me as I was doing so. As is my normal response, I grabbed the front brake and released the clutch with a lot more throttle to spin the rear. Remember I said it was early morning? Yep! Wet Grass! ABS kicked in, but the tire still slid a little. Pucker time. I rode it out, but the ABS saved my dumb ass!