Nearly Done With V47 Install...But Where Do the Wires Go?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red2kcbr

Reaction score
I've nearly completed the install process of the Givi V47 top case on the '14 model. No issues with the SR357, all the box contacts are polarity-matched, LED brake lights tested with the box lid closed, looking good.

Just one last step remains: exactly what wires do I need to tap into for hot and ground?

This is using the Givi light kit (I know, I know, shoulda bought the Admore...
bike.gif
) that has one black wire I've designated ground, and a blue wire that is the hot side.

And just as a side question, what is a good wire route to get into the tail section? All I could see was use the seat opening or come in via one of the rear-most of the side case mounting lugs.

Thanks in advance for the advice, can't wait to try this box out on the road. Got a quick trip to Corpus Christi that will be a good trial run.

wire colors didnt change from my genII to genIII

Last edited by a moderator:
Yellow wire (maybe a stripe on it) at the tail light is the brake light wire.

EDIT: Unless they changed the wire colors for Gen III.....

Yellow wire (maybe a stripe on it) at the tail light is the brake light wire.
EDIT: Unless they changed the wire colors for Gen III.....
No change. At least for the brake lamp wire.

Thanks for the replys. I hate to be so obtuse, but I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy.

So, I connect the hot wire of the Givi brake light to the yellow wire in the tail wiring harness. I'm looking at it right now.

But where does the ground go? Which wire in the bike tail section is ground? Or should I ground it to the frame using a spade connector to the Givi ground wire?

I am a terrible electrician. This is the guy that tested the old big Christmas tree light socket with two bulbs, decided the socket was bad, stuck in a finger. Socket was not bad. Got away from it before I pissed my pants, but the wife thought it was pretty funny.

Needless to say, I don't work hot anymore...
flirt.gif

Wire Routing - Some drill, I just routed through the passenger seat opening, when the rear

seat is mounted there is enough give that it doesn't damage the wires and you don't loose

any waterproofness.

Thanks for the helpful replies. Brake lights look great. Opened up the wire wrap in the tail section, tapped into the yellow wire for hot to brake lights, and a scuffed up chassis ground using the black wire. Had a tech (my son) solder the connection, then shrink tubing to seal it up.

The V47 seems relatively neutral back there while solo, only noticable with a slight wiggle when heeled over in fast sweepers.

I think I'm gonna like it. No more tying a duffle on the back!
punk.gif

Red lid cover is still on the way, but it looks pretty good without it.

Never posted photos before. I'll go read up on it.

I also installed a V47 on my new to me 2012 FJR. Wife is much happier. Still wish for a little more room between us (spoiled by the previous bike, a GL1800). I am going to look into replicating the relocation plate made by toecutter a few years back. Also, passenger peg lowering soon.

While the OP is figuring out how to post pics, I can share a couple quick pictures I took this weekend.

20141017_123738-L.jpg

20141018_155955-L.jpg

We cannot fit two helmets in it. My XL lid goes in the top case. Her Med lid fits in a side case.

I got an e-mail from Sport Tour, Ltd, saying "the lid you ordered has been discontinued & is no longer available".

I was not happy to hear that. The matte black box looks OK, but I think the red cover would tie it together a bit better.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the SR357 bracket and the V47 box. I may look at a paint option. Depends on cost.

Right now, I'm just trying to put some miles on the '14. About 5,800 since 1st of July.

Ever notice how work really gets in the way of shit you really want to do?