Road to Batopilas in Mexico's Copper Canyon is Paved!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
One of the great roads of the world has been paved over. The spectacular decent into Batopilias at the bottom of the Copper Canyon in Mexico is now paved. Fortunately, they used the old roadbed, so the views, switchbacks and corners are still there.

Well, I guess this means that even Girlie-Men like dcarver, RadioHowie and Bustanut joker could ride to Batopilas now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. . .

FJR to Batopilas . . .

Probably could ride up and down the canyon several times in one day.

Hmmm . . .

Anyone up for a trip to Batopilias? Don, Steve, Barry - you pussies… I mean cool guys up for Batopilas?

Bato1.jpg

Batopilas.jpg

what a waste of a good road!
+1, Gunny; total waste of a fantastic dirt bike road mi Hermano Donaldo, you should have seen rushes and yamafitter tearing it up on their off road machines! JSNS!

From Canuckistani Billy Fitz, ese: We stopped again in the town of Quirare to get the group together before coming to the rim of the canyon. The view from the outlook was spectacular...

1098741894_nTN5s-L.jpg

https://www.visitmexico.com/en/historic-treasures-in-batopilas-copper-canyon-chihuahua-mexico

Here is Bill Fitkowski's Fantastic Video of the Wicked Descent in to Las Barrancas del Cobre, Mexico's Copper Canyon. Sad Day for all Dirt Donks, loss of a great adventure!

Good god I wonder how long the pavement will last? I was there solo on my Vstrom in 2007. Here is a Helicopter shot of the road. One good rain storm and it's gravel again, especially in the washes.

Batopilas-road-helicopter.jpg

Here is my Vstrom.

mx018s.jpg

I wonder where they came up with the denero for this?

Damn! What a road!

Paved, eh? Wonder when they'll name it something like "Tail of the Iguana" and have all the SoCal squids running it? Google says it's only 1,750 miles from Atlanta.

(By the way ... what do you do all day, beemerdons, such that you get this kind of news? I'm guessing this story isn't on CNN.)

Damn! What a road!
Paved, eh? Wonder when they'll name it something like "Tail of the Iguana" and have all the SoCal squids running it? Google says it's only 1,750 miles from Atlanta.

(By the way ... what do you do all day, beemerdons, such that you get this kind of news? I'm guessing this story isn't on CNN.)
Buenos Dias Uncle Hud, I have been riding motorcycles in to Mexico since October of 1968; I first spent two weeks riding Mexico on my 1964 Norton Atlas 750 just before reporting to the US Army at Fort Ord, California. I fell in love with Mexico and the Mexican people and have been returning on two wheels ever since then. Lots of Motocicleta Amigos on both sides of the Border, ese!

When Life gives you Lemons, it is Time to make Lemonade! If there is enough interest here on FJR Forum, Papa Chuy Viejo will organize a Yamaha FJR 1300 ride to Batopilas next Winter! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos, Suerte!

I am crying at this news. What a sad day.What's next, FJR's on the Trans Lab.............. Oh wait.
From our Amigo Skip Mascorro of Moto Discovery:

Hola, Don: I was there about ten days ago and it is true…but there are boulders the size of a huge house all over the road that keeps the adventure thrills happening.
I was pretty saddened by it at first. I've done that ride countless times for over twenty years. But we continued our journey through some incredibly scenic routes that offer the fun and challenge we seek. Just have to go deeper into the canyon country and the deeper you go the more magnificent it is!
As a town Batopilas will be better for it, so I accept it..with a tear in my eye!
Saludos,
Skip

685 Persimmon Hill
Bulverde, TX 78163
Toll Free USA & Canada 1(800) 233-0564
PH (830) 438-7744
[email protected]
www.motodiscovery.com
Click here to receive the Navigator Newsletter!

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Don Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:
Hola Skip, Brian and Bill: I can't believe the Mexican Government did this, what a Sacrilege and the Ruination of a Perfect Dirt Bike Road! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

Don Stanley
Chandler, AZ 85225

Hmmm. . .
FJR to Batopilas . . .

Hmmm . . .

Anyone up for a trip to Batopilias? Don, Steve, Barry - you pussies… I mean cool guys up for Batopilas?
Boy that will be a ride!

Somebody'll need to open a tire and brake shop nearby.

So is main street in Owosso! But do you think anybody cares?
fuck.gif
If we Gringos had a choice of either keeping frozen Michigan or gaining sunny Mexico, the answer would be so obvious you fucking Dickhead!

Go shovel some snow, ya Jackass! We'd give Owosso to the Canucks muy pronto ese, if the Frostbacks already don't own Owosso! JSNS!

Hmmm. . .
FJR to Batopilas . . .

Hmmm . . .

Boy that will be a ride!

Mi Compadre Señor Russ, tus Papa Chuy Viejo is always looking for a new business venture! The old copper foundry - processing plant on the banks of Rio Batopilas is available to us, we could set ourselves up as Goober y Zonie's Tire and Brake. Might even open up a franchise in Choix, or El Divisadero; es Verdad, con mucho gusto! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos, Suerte! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

As an incentive rushes, Papa Chuy wants to remind you of what Mexican women look like! Ole!

How about something different than FJR's.. how about any motobike as long as it has drum brakes, front and back?

Hmmm. . .
FJR to Batopilas . . .

Hmmm . . .

Boy that will be a ride!

Mi Compadre Señor Russ, tus Papa Chuy Viejo is always looking for a new business venture! The old copper foundry - processing plant on the banks of Rio Batopilas is available to us, we could set ourselves up as Goober y Zonie's Tire and Brake. Might even open up a franchise in Choix, or El Divisadero; es Verdad, con mucho gusto! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos, Suerte! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

As an incentive rushes, Papa Chuy wants to remind you of what Mexican women look like! Ole!

Brakes, tires, and tiaras...

Hmm....

The road is not quite paved all the way. The areas "under construction" are pretty messy. By spring it will probably be done. I'll have a group there in March and we'll be better able to give you the latest info.
Saludos,
Skip

ScreenShot2013-11-06at21210PM.png

685 Persimmon Hill
Bulverde, TX 78163
Toll Free USA & Canada 1(800) 233-0564
PH (830) 438-7744
[email protected]
www.motodiscovery.com

Click here to receive the Navigator Newsletter!

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Don Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:
Don, please ask Skip if the road is paved all of the way (except for the boulders) and if a BMW K1600 and Yamaha FJR 1300's could get there?