EZPass transponder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stuck mine on the back side of the windscreen, down as low as possible so it isn't easy for someone to take it. I used the white velcro type things that came with the tag. No problem. Mine has an 'M' on it to indicate that it is for motorcycles. I get a discount on some roads and bridges in NY with the motorcycle specific tag. Other than the 'M' it is exactly the same as the tags for my cars.

LEDs_zps9dd3b7fa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Florida has a mini transponder for motorcycles. It has two suction cups and I stick it to the inside lid of the smuggler. Works great.

Side of windshield with 3m duo-lock. Realize that anybody stealing an ez-pass is a freaking moron. The thief passes an ez-pass toll gate, the tag is recorded. You report it stolen and the thief gets nailed. Dumb, dumb,dumb.

Oh, the new transponders are different shapes for motorcycles versus cages. Cycle tags remain the same shape, cage units get smaller.

I have a Mass EZPass, it works every time from a car or truck but never, ever once worked from my motorcycle. It fails to work in MA, NH, NY, NJ, etc. It's not a big problem because they look up my plate which is registered and they simply deduct from my account. I do intend to get a NH EZPass which others say works from their motorcycles. Once in NJ where they have a drop bar it was an issue but otherwise it's just a nuisance. I have tried everyplace on the motorcycle, pockets, by hand and the NJ toll troll even waved it directly under the receiver. After that we replaced the unit with another Mass unit and it fails exactly the same way. Just be sure your account is payed up and your plate is registered and don't worry.

NY motorcycle one. I was annoyed when they sent me a new mini one for the car and a new full size for the bike. Mine is on the windshield down low and it always trips the tolls.

The cage transponder in Florida is big and uses the windshield as an antenna. Can't use that one on a motorcycle. You gotta use the mini. Me Likey! :)

I have attached it to windshield and it worked good but was concerned it would get stolen.

I just ordered a new Stich R-3 with a left sleeve window pocket so I will see how it works in there.

I keep it in my lower glovebox. The new smaller model works 90% of the time, a couple of times I had to pull it out and wave it for it to work.

Now the older bigger square model hardly ever worked in the g-box. So teh new smaller wedge one I think is a tad (signal wise) stronger.

I haven't used EZ Pass on the bike since they sent me a new one for the car. I never bothered with a Motorcycle-specific one, since it seems each tag is not necessarily specific to a single car/vehicle on my account. I have five vehicles on my account (mine, the wife's and the two step-daughters' and then the FJR) and didn't see the need for a fifth tag. With the old-style auto tag, I used a binder clip and badge lanyard tied to the tank bag. When I approached the toll plaza, I pulled the tag out of the tank bag, and held it just over the top of the windscreen. Once passed, I stowed it away again. Most times, this worked, but once in a while, I had to stop and wave it about. I got crap once or twice from a toll taker that I should have the MC-specific tag, but since for the most part the tolls are the same, I didn't see much difference. Now the new tags for cars are shaped such that the binder clip trick won't work. Guess I'll have to break down and get a MC tag. Just can't see mounting it to the windscreen. Sort of fugly, not that I need the FJR to be a prom queen or anything, it just bugs me to see it there.

MIne is mounted to the forward end of the right saddlebag on the bag side (not the lid). Works every time.

I have the mini tag and it is attached to my left forearm of my jacket using a sport/running style MP3 pouch. As I go through the gate I have to hold my arm out and it works every time. I did try going through leaving my hand on the handle bars and it doesn't read for some reason. I will take a picture once I get home.

Just an FYI with EZ Pass NY after reading ionbeam’s post, my license plate is register with them and when it doesn’t read I get charged the max amount. My only guess is that the cameras only take a picture of the front of the vehicle. I had several no reads when I first starting using the EZ Pass on the bike thinking I was still good since the plate is registered, wrong!! Big shock when I opened my statement at the end of the month, had to go to battle with them to get a refund of over $200 in charges. Took over two months to straighten out, a complete pain in the ass!!

Stuck on the inside of the smuggler lid as majicmaker recommended. Alternatively, inside the top case lid.

I have a Mass EZpass and I couldn't get it to work anywhere on the bike. I had to stop, and wave it around in the air at some of the Maine toll booths that have attendants. Finally, I got an MP3 armband pouch and I wrapped it over the right side brake fluid reservoir. That seems to work most of the time.