EZPass transponder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the toll lanes have laser or radar in them so they can detect your speed as you pass through the lane. This does not detect or calculate the speed you were at as you travelled on the toll road. After some number of warnings they will revoke your ez-pass temporarily.

EZ-Pass is by far the biggest tolling transponder, mostly because the multi-state northeast uses it. May even stretch to DC now. Nice model for inter-state cooperation, but jeez, when you can cross three state lines in 2 hours of riding, they need to cooperate.
Georgia uses it's own Peach Pass, and until two or three years ago had only one tollbooth in the entire state. Funded a sizable bunch of jobs, however.

Florida uses it's own SunPass, which does function across the half-dozen tolling agencies in the state. They've got the population to support it, too.

Last I checked, Texas has their TxTag system, which recently went statewide. My son has gotten threatening letters from their Houston folks, but has never had anything more substantial.

Who cares about California? They're slipping into the ocean any day now.
North Carolina has very few toll roads, mostly IIRC over by Raleigh tho I've never been on one here. According to NCDOT website we have our own system, the NC Quick pass but,

"North Carolina now accepts E-ZPass and SunPass transponders on North Carolina toll roads as a form of payment. The NC Quick Pass hardcase and exterior front bumper transponders will work on toll roads where E-ZPass is accepted. The sticker, hardcase and exterior front bumper transponders will work on toll roads in Florida."

I am very glad I live in a state where people have no idea what an E-Z Pass or toll road is.
It will come to all states eventually, with our reluctance to raise taxes to rebuild infrastructure there are few ways to fund highway maintenance other than to impose user fees.

As Federal share of road maintenance shrinks, and with the miniscule population density in rural western states, I look for it sooner rather than later.

Will be sold that transient user dollars are paying for the maintenance of our roads.

May not be a bad idea, especially if trucks pay their fair share.