Shock Mounting Points Same on All Three Gens? & Horns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blassoff

Its just the dog in me, baby
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
If the mounting points are same through all three generations, can a shock that fits a gen1 be used on a 2 or 3?

It would seem so, but I figured I'd ask the gurus.

Also, what's up with mama Yama supplying a single horn. Talk about whimpy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eezy peezy, bolts right in..

Putting a Gen3 shock in a Gen1 is a well accepted mod to upgrade the stock suspension.

You may need to change the spring if putting a Gen I shock on a II or III. Later Gens have a longer swing arm. Shock itself should be OK.

Also, what's up with mama Yama supplying a single horn. Talk about whimpy!
Hmm, my '03 has 2...
One horn is a new improvement on the Gen 3, all others have 2TOOOOTTT horns. The Gen 3 has a few other improvements via deletions in addition to this subtraction.
Is it Friday already, that there made my head hurt.

Yep...My gen1 had two hooters, so I was surprised when I looked under the skirts of the gen3 to realize one sad whimpy hooter. But I did read that the mounting points for two horns are there, just no wiring (and no horn).

No worries, it's all good.

Yes, but aren't we already riding the lightest of the heavy-weight sport tourers? I think the st1300 is 730lbs and the C14 is 670lbs, where the FJR is a svelte 639.

We could have afforded the additional 6 ounces for a second horn.

Yep...My gen1 had two hooters, so I was surprised when I looked under the skirts of the gen3 to realize one sad whimpy hooter. But I did read that the mounting points for two horns are there, just no wiring (and no horn).
Not exactly. There is only one real (designed for a horn) mounting bracket for the horn for the Gen III's. On the other hand, you can use the bolt at top of the right corner of the radiator to mount the other.

FWIW..."Two Wheel Obsession" proved that the one horn on Gen3 was louder than 2 horns. It was a direct comparison with the decibels measured. The truth is in the numbers gents. Yammi knew this going in with only the one horn...they made it louder than the previous 2 setup. I was disappointed too when I saw the lone beeper on my `15 but, when I pushed the button in my garage, I gotta say, it was surprisingly loud (and shrill) ! Having said all that, I am going with the PIAA Dual Slim Line sports horn kit on order...just sounds better (not louder) to my ears. I just got my ears de-waxed as well...should sound even better ha ha.

Check out mcn (motorcycle consumer news), they did a comparison last year on 6 different horns. At the proper frequencies, two horns will always be louder the one..BUT, that depends on the horns too.

I recommend that when you get time, upgrade your horn to a pair of low tone/high tone horns. As mentioned above, use that right upper bolt in the radiator to mount the other one. There's a couple of ways to go on this, all depends on which horns you choose and the amount of current they draw. I've never examined the horn switch contacts so I do not know how hardy (current worthy) that contact is, so I would be hesitant to put much more than a 6 to 10 amp load across that contact with the new horn set-up. Just use a relay between the horns and the battery and energize the relay coil with the wiring that use to go to your stock horn. Then you can run whatever big ass set of horns you desire without damaging your horn switch contact.

FWIW..."Two Wheel Obsession" proved that the one horn on Gen3 was louder than 2 horns. It was a direct comparison with the decibels measured. The truth is in the numbers gents. Yammi knew this going in with only the one horn...they made it louder than the previous 2 setup. I was disappointed too when I saw the lone beeper on my `15 but, when I pushed the button in my garage, I gotta say, it was surprisingly loud (and shrill) ! Having said all that, I am going with the PIAA Dual Slim Line sports horn kit on order...just sounds better (not louder) to my ears. I just got my ears de-waxed as well...should sound even better ha ha.
Yeah, I saw the video, also. However, I beeped the stock horn in my closed garage, then swapped in the PIAA Slimlines, and they beeped a LOT louder.

Performance outside the garage? I got the PIAA horns because the stock one didn't do shit when I needed it to. In subsequent real-world beeping situations, the PIAAs startle adjacent drivers, so I beep a little earlier than I normally would -- gives 'em a little room to react.

<edit 5 mins later> Oh yeah, got about 9,000 problem-free miles with one of the PIAAs mounted on the radiator screw. Those miles include a LOT of curb jumping, thanks to the 2015 Big Money Rally!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep...I was running a pair (high tone-low tone) of Fiaam freeway blasters on my 05. I liked the Stebel air horn on my concours, but couldn't find a suitable mounting point on the FJR. Also didn't feel like running a harness and relay to power up the air horn. So I'll be ordering a set of blasters for the 14.