Gen I Transmission Swap?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supermario2360

Reaction score
    1 (INTRODUCTION) Hello I am new to the forums, thanks for having me! I own a 2005 FJR1300 non abs. I took the used machine for a test drive in 2017, parked it, and I said to myself I want this one! Did so much research on what my first bike was gonna be and this hit the sweet spot of power, style, performance, capability, and overall package. Yes it's heavy, but yes it has the cc's to pull any gear! I grew up with dirt bikes (light trail riding) and wanted to finally experience the thrill of 2 wheels on the road :)) Anywhoo the bike was so nice when I purchased it (of course the usual wear after 12 years and dirt/grease that has accumulated in that time) but it functioned so smooth. *functioned being the main point because second gear apparently had deteriorated over the course of 2 years I rode. It started with a slight slip, then gradually got worse and it would click out of 2nd immediately after giving slight throttle. This did not please me, but i knew an older bike may eventually have some problems. I found myself accelerating to a higher speed in 1st gear then shifting up twice to get 3rd gear then normally shift from there. Gradually, the engine oil level began to drop as well. Not at a normal service interval rate, but much quicker. Not optimal and not safe. The battery died on it and she has been sitting for over 5 months :((((((((( I love to ride and with my slight mechanical skills( I always pull stuff apart to see how it works and studied some engineering and always change my own oil and brakes, headlights, etc...) I now want to get to the bottom of it and get her running buttery smooth again!

2 (DISASSEMBLY) Fast forward to three days ago and I decided to pull the bike apart and drop the engine. Got the factory service manual and have all the parts organized in labeled bags for reassembly. Everything went pretty smoothly but i did have some plastic fasteners that didn't make it (if anyone has a good source for oem or even a cool upgrade I will consider purchasing!) Right after the exhaust was removed I noticed that this was gonna me a little more involved than I had thought. Now that the engine is out i put a tire on the ground, inverted the engine and rested it on the tire. Disassembled the bottom half of the engine and split the crankcase. *NO GOING BACK NOW :eek:* Now I have a wonderful view of what is wrong with my transmission!

3 (DIAGNOSIS) Just as we all expected... (Wait what did you expect? XD) We probably all thought the same thing: second gear dogs are worn leading to gear slipping and the valve guides are worn leading to excessive oil consumption. I just uploaded a Youtube video showing my progress:

You might be able to see the wear on the gear dogs but if not I will certainly upload detailed pictures to further examine the damage!! Called local certified Yamaha dealer and they have yet to get back to me. Looks like I need multiple pinion gears and wheel gears.. Looked up the cost of oem gears and its basically $100 per gear :eek: I can't spend that much when the gears that need to be replaced basically cost half of the resale value and I am on a limited budget XD Looked inside the exhaust ports and confirmed failing valve guides(or valve seals?). They are kinda pricey so if anyone with experience can comment that would be appreciated. So it looks like I need a new transmission and valve guides.

4 (Transmission Swap) I see a '03-'05 transmission on Ebay for $350. I see a 2012 transmission on Ebay for $170. The transmissions are quite similar aside from one extra washer plate and slightly different tooth count. I ultimately want to see if anyone knows if the gen II transmission will fit in the gen I crankcase. If it is possible, this will make things much cheaper and enable me to get back on the road with some wallet left XD As for the valve guides I would like your input, otherwise I was thinking of ordering new ones and having a shop take care of it.

5 (Other Q's) Tire wear is quite quick and would like some recommendations on longer lasting tires! (Currently running Michelin Pilot P5.) Also, does anyone get wobbles at high speed with all 3 luggage installed?

Complete motors seem to be getting quite cheap, either that or go to a parts fish and compare part number's. I seem to remember someone hurting and 06 tranny same as you and they found that the 08 tranny had a more robust 2nd and replaced it with the later gear and dog???? Can't remember his name it was at least ten years ago but run some searches.

The wobbles have been reported, it's been talked so try another search on that. I've had mine at a buck forty with all three and no biggy, but I'm a big guy so maybe I hold it down better.

Great Info, I didn't consider going to a part pick, duh! also, I did notice engines for pretty cheap and I saw a Youtube video of a guy swapped a gen II to a '05 FJR!!! I did notice that the second gear seems to be the same on the '08. I have already ordered the 10 crankcase bolts and also reed valve block off plates! Just need transmission, battery, tires, and shabang! Arizona has a 65mph speed limit on some highways and if I'm getting a little over that, it goes side to side, and I will definitely look at other threads about that. Thanks for quick reply, and go Yamaha!

I'm leaning towards a 2004 transmission.. Its just over $100 and that is way more doable than shipping an engine to the house:eek: I would prefer an entire engine, but it is just too much for me to spend right now. I'll be gentler on the gears this time around for sure (first bike, gotta get the full experience of the machine XD) Now I'm more mature and don't want to thrash my machines causing unnecessary wear. Well just wanted to give an update. In the meantime, I have been detailing every inch of the bike now that I have good access to more parts of the bike. Hey I forgot to mention that the forks like to leak if she sits for too long. I noticed that putting the bike on the center stand greatly reduces if not stops the leaking. I ordered fork seal kit a while ago so that will be on the agenda after the engine gets put back together. I attempted to do the change on my own a long time ago but never was able to remove fork tube... Now that I have the service manual, the process would go much smoother! and youtube videos as well :)

Edit: Also bought some fork seal mates.. gonna give them a try after fork job:)

BTDT got the t-shirt. I was fortunate enough to get a salvaged transmission for the shipping cost from a bike that had spun a bearing (only known bearing failure on the forum.) I had a slight issue with second gear like yours, but 4th was actually much worse! I never got fast enough in 4th to be in the power band so it wasn't skipping, but the shift fork was toast as well.

I actually didn't tear it down for the skipping, I tore it down because the star wheel broke off of the shift shaft, then discovered the wear on the gear dogs and shift fork!