Top Shock Mount, OCD?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth1

Reaction score
I was finally replacing my OE shock on my Gen II today. My fresh new Hagon arrived yesterday afternoon.

Everything was going smoothly. I removed the old shock and cleaned up the mounting bolts. Just to make sure everything was going to fit, I slid he bolts through the holes on the new shock.

Lower bolt felt great but the upper was a little stubborn so I cleaned it again and checked for burs and tried again.

No improvement. You could get it through but you had to twist as you pushed it through.

I placed it on a straight edge and noticed a very slight bow as it was rotated against the straight edge.

I immediately postponed the install, went inside and ordered a new bolt. While I was at it I ordered a lower bolt and new nuts as well.

My neighbor said he would have just used the old bolt, but I thought straighter would be better.

Am I wasting time and money being overly cautious?

Since there's not a great deal of rotational movement compared with, say a wheel or a gear, I think you could have safely used the slightly out of spec bolt.

But if it would continue to bug you, I say it's worth it for the peace of mind

tonguesmiley.gif

Every time you'd ride the bike you would be thinking the whole time "I'm riding on an ever so slightly bent bolt" so it's money well spent for peace of mind. Of course, it's your money I'm spending here.
biggrin.png

The bigger question is: Why is your bolt bent? That's what I would be concerned about...And I would have bought a new bolt also.

The bigger question is: Why is your bolt bent? That's what I would be concerned about...And I would have bought a new bolt also.
I have no idea.

Maybe wear in the bushing allowed the shock to hammer on the upper bolt enough to bend it, It was a very slight bend which I couldn't even see until I checked it with a straight edge.

The bushing on the old shock is noticeably looser than the new one.

I have ridden some rough roads in the last 40,000 miles.

I'm glad I ordered the new bolt. The cost was minimal after buying the new shock.

..well, I was cruising down the highway and saw this MX track off to the side of the road. Since I needed some money, I joined the Pro race and put the ass whupping on them silly high fendered fillies them sissies were riding. When I came down from the 80' table top, I heard this thunk sound. Not sure what it was.. Now I think I know..

..well, I was cruising down the highway and saw this MX track off to the side of the road. Since I needed some money, I joined the Pro race and put the ass whupping on them silly high fendered fillies them sissies were riding. When I came down from the 80' table top, I heard this thunk sound. Not sure what it was.. Now I think I know..
Not quite like that, but there is a story!

Tape up the threads, get it on a flat hard surface and straighten the bend out with a nice heavy hammer.....

No big deal, the metal is bendable one way, bend it back and move along....

Just don't bugger up the threads, should be good to go for years to come, no rocket science needed here nor more money spent....