Replacing AE Shocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm Shane from the UK. I'm currently on my 5th FJR, I ride a lot, often through Europe for my work. Every time I get to the point that it's time to trade in the old bike and go for something new (always second-hand) nothing quite ticks the boxes like an FJR. My current FJR is a 2018 AE (UK Version with electronic suspension) and I'm looking for help to understand how to replace the rear electronic suspension. At the last MOT I was told the rear shock was leaking and needed replacing. I found a company that has said the can rebuild the shock for £155 (which is about 10% of the cost of a new OEM part from Yamaha) which is great. During my search for a solution I found a second-hand unit (Pictured) so I bought it thinking it would reduce the time the bike would need to be off-road.

That’s when my problems began.

My logic was "How hard can it be to replace a shock even a more sophisticated electronic one" (I've restored a few bikes over the years so I can usually find the right spanner…)

I managed to remove all of the fixing bolts to remove the old unit complete (as in the pictures) but, with the attached hoses and electronics is too big to pull through the swing arm. Next I thought, okay if I remove the connection attached the left hand side of the shock (circled in Red in the picture) which looked like a worm drive cable to me and expected to see a greased worm drive but instead it leaked oil so I quickly refitted it. And here I'm stuck.

My thinking is that if the cable I tried to remove is part of the hydraulics then recommissioning or even topping up if its lubricating oil when the unit is refitted in the bike will be a job beyond my skills

So help please if you can. Does anyone know how to remove the AE suspension unit? (Maybe removing the top half of the fraRear Shock Marked Up.jpgme) or have a workshop manual that I can work it through?