Throttle Cables, how long do they last?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

240z

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 04 FJR with 42,000 miles, and have done the valve check, flushed the coolant, changed the oil, differential oil and brake fluid.

I was wondering if I should replace the throttle cables while I had the tank off?

I think before just replacing components, unless they're obviously damaged or badly worn, you should do some routine maintenance on them. Lubricate and adjust free play. Remove throttle tube and lubricate that so it rotates freely as well. I've seen throttle cables on numerous bikes, not just FJR, that were shot with really low mileage due to lack of care. I've also seen original cables still on a bike for approaching 20 years and well over 100k miles when they were properly cared for.

I recently purchased a 04 FJR with 42,000 miles, and have done the valve check, flushed the coolant, changed the oil, differential oil and brake fluid.
I was wondering if I should replace the throttle cables while I had the tank off?
I am sure others will chime in here, but I don't recall anyone saying they had to replace the cables. I have 97 k on an 07 with the original cables and no issues. Unless there is something wrong with them I would think there is no need.

I recently purchased a 04 FJR with 42,000 miles, and have done the valve check, flushed the coolant, changed the oil, differential oil and brake fluid.I was wondering if I should replace the throttle cables while I had the tank off?
240Z,

You can get a Cable Lubrication Tool at most bike shops, on-line, and even Amazon.com has them. Cost is US$10 +/- a few bucks.

Use the tool with almost any good spray-can lubricant. Do not use WD-40, because that stuff is NOT oil; it's mostly kerosene.

Kerosene just washes good oil away.

CableLube%20Tool.jpg

Cheers,

Infrared

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently purchased a 04 FJR with 42,000 miles, and have done the valve check, flushed the coolant, changed the oil, differential oil and brake fluid.I was wondering if I should replace the throttle cables while I had the tank off?
240Z,

You can get a Cable Lubrication Tool at most bike shops, on-line, and even Amazon.com has them. Cost is US$10 +/- a few bucks.

Use the tool with almost any good spray-can lubricant. Do not use WD-40, because that stuff is NOT oil; it's mostly kerosene.

Kerosene just washes good oil away.

CableLube%20Tool.jpg

Cheers,

Infrared
^^This thingy, plus a spray can of cable lube, will last a long, long time, and barring damage your bike's cables just as long.

Back in the day, the clutch cable on my brand new Norton Commando 850 snapped during the initial ride. It had not received any lube at the factory or dealership. I've never had an issue with wear or failure on any other cables.

New throttle cables will add some new smooth to an old FJR. I did them recently at 10 years - 65,000 miles and the difference is stunning. If you have experience in that area of the bike hell yes do it, they are not expensive. Throttle control makes riding fun.

You can probably get a lifetime out of them, add all that lube and gunk if you want. I found it inferior to new stuff on many motorcycles.

I had to replace mine around the 159k mark when I had my engine out for an oring replacement. It was a fluke I noticed one of them fraying just inside the end near the throttle bodies. If I can find the pic I took I'll post it later.

Back in the day, the nipple pulled off the end of my throttle cable at (I'd guess) around 10000 miles. I was able to ride home by holding the cable in my hand, pulling when I wanted to go faster, relaxing when I wanted to go slower.

What front brake?

Even then, didn't replace the cable, that would have required a very rare commodity called "money", of which I had very little. Soldered the nipple back on.

Luckily not much torque from my old Tiger Cub, wouldn't like to try that on an FJR :) .

Here's the pic of my bad cable. The part that is frayed is normally inside the sleeve. Probably not a very common thing to happen though.

Thanks for all the replies, I lubed them up good and made a note to do it again at every valve check.