Axle spacers Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarg

Reaction score
Did a site search. Found a lot on Gen I and Gen II but not much on Gen III. Have read and watched everything I can find and I'm still not sure. Pulled my wheels off awhile back to get new tires mounted. Took pictures to help me remember how to put back together. Everything I've read says big spacer goes on left side which I'm assuming is as I sit on the bike. The pictures I took prior to removing the wheel shows the opposite. When I install the wheel with the larger spacer on the left the ABS housing sits out further away from the brake rotor than it did when I removed the wheel. Was my bike put together wrong or has something changed on the Gen III? Does the small spacer go on the right hand side, throttle side and the large one on the left? Sorry if this question has been answered before I just want to make sure I get it right. Thanks!

If you are talking about the front tire the spacer goes on the right as you sit on the bike. Opposite side from the ABS sensor with the large flange outboard. For the rear tire on the non drive side it is wheel, ABS sensor, brake caliper, then washer.

Larger space belongs on the left (as you are sitting on the bike), between the swingarm and wheel. Washer-like spacer is on the right side between brake caliper and swingarm. I believe this is issue of non-abs FJRs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Larger space belongs on the left (as you are sitting on the bike), between the swingarm and wheel. Washer-like spacer is on the right side between brake caliper and swingarm. I believe this is issue of non-abs FJRs.
There is something else between the ABS and the swingarm Allen...JS

I am assuming he is talking about the front anyway.

There is something else between the ABS and the swingarm Allen...JS
I am assuming he is talking about the front anyway.
Good point about which wheel! If the rear, I believe I was correct, based on my memory when removing and re-installing the wheels yesterday and this: https://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=34

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the front wheel diagram from the FSM:

3rd%20Gen%20Front%20Wheel%20Mounting.jpg

The axle goes in from the right side, and it looks like the bigger spacer is on the right. What's different on 3rd Gens is that they added a spacer on the left side of the wheel (#10). That spacer used to be incorporated in the back of the ABS sensor plate (#9).

Here's the same diagram for a 2nd Gen (part numbering is different):

2nd%20Gen%20FJR%20Wheel%20Mounting.jpg