Front Axle induced speed wobble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torch

Reaction score
Recently I have had a head shaker wobble if the handlebars are released at low speeds -- no problems at highway speed, no problems with at least one hand on the bars, but an increasingly violent head shake if both hands are removed. I checked all the fork alignment and adjusted the steering head torque with no difference. I attributed it to the worn tire which is approaching the end of it's serviceable life and started shopping for new shoes. I didn't remove the wheel and check the balance because there seemed little point if I'm changing the tire soon -- I'll balance things with the new rubber.

Then the other day I was washing the bugs off and I noticed one of the left front axle pinch bolt heads was sticking out slightly -- it was loose. It's partner was barely finger tight. On the right side, one bolt was missing and the other barely more than finger tight. I replaced the missing one and torqued everything down and whadayaknow: the wobble is gone.

I can't say that I've seen this mentioned before in the multitude of wobble threads, so add that to the list of suspects: check the torque on the axle pinch bolts.

I haven't seen this before. I am pretty careful about torquing front pinch bolts using the sequence and repeats as specified in the FSM.

Something to keep in mind.

The OP needs to ask himself why were those pinch bolts missing and loose?
I can only assume I forgot to torque them when I reinstalled the wheel. I remember the day quite clearly, and will do so until the end of days -- May 20, 2022. I was prepping the bike for my brother. He could barely walk, but was determined to get one last ride in while he could still sit upright.

I may have been distracted.

Last edited:
I once noticed that one of the bolts holding the right front brake caliper on my '06 was missing. I have no clue how it could have happened. I bought a metric bolt at ACE hardware that I installed until I could get one of the correct, vented type. I also had a screw come out of my left highway peg plate. No big deal but again another WTF moment.

I can only assume I forgot to torque them when I reinstalled the wheel. I remember the day quite clearly, and will do so until the end of days -- May 20, 2022. I was prepping the bike for my brother. He could barely walk, but was determined to get one last ride in while he could still sit upright.

I may have been distracted.
Very sorry to hear about your brother. Very commendable of you to get him on a ride.

Lesson learned I'm sure. Good thing nothing "majorly bad" happened.