Used slime pump for first time and blew fuse right off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salish1300

Reaction score
So I caught a little staple in my tire and discovered it last night. I pulled out my never used slime kit and went to work. After getting the patch in and trimmed, I plugged my slime compressor into the cigaratte lighter and it ran for about 1 second before going dead. I troubleshooted and found it has to be the fuse, as the pump is fine when plugged into a car. Tonight I will get in and replace the 3am fuse, but am wondering if others have had this problem?

Check the power requirements for the pump. I think it requires a 15 Amp circuit. Mine runs off a short cable directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse. There have been several threads about blowing the fuse in the cigarette lighter circuit when using this pump.

Congratulations!

You've earned membership in that elite group that has

discovered what happens when you plug a ten amp

compressor into a three amp fused circuit.

A raised glass to you sir. You earned it.

Yep everybody has that problem. I never use the cig light for anything due to it low amp capacity and it gets kinda toasty in there for electronics.

I have set up an all purpose cable for heated gear, battery tender, charger for electronics and to run a tire pump. The cable comes right of the battery with a 15 or 30 amp fuse (I forget).

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight I will get in and replace the 3am fuse, but am wondering if others have had this problem?
Yes. It's been talked about many, Many, MANY times on the forum and found by searching on "blown fuse" or part of the New Owners Read This . The inflator is probably closer to 5 amps +/- at startup and even higher at higher air pressures.

Like, I only use that cigarette lighter for herb, man
crazy.gif

Well I'm just a glutton for punishment around here but that's the price of learning for me it seems
fool.gif
. Since I have run this pump on my cars cigarette lighter circuit several times with no problems, I did not feel silly to try it on the bike. In retrospect, duh. Thanks to all for the easy fix.

Made the same mistake and blew the fuse. At least on a '15 you don't have to take half the dash apart to get to the fusebox next to the battery
not_i.gif

Well I'm just a glutton for punishment around here but that's the price of learning for me it seems
fool.gif
. Since I have run this pump on my cars cigarette lighter circuit several times with no problems, I did not feel silly to try it on the bike. In retrospect, duh. Thanks to all for the easy fix.
What!? You didn't memorize the manual, like all the rest of us did?
lol_zpsfd3ahpbp.gif

I also have 12-volt compressors that have worked on everything I've plugged them into for decades. I never tried it on the FJR, but if I'd needed to I doubt I'd have consulted the manual first either. Don't sweat it. At least it's easy to fix. ;)

Real men don't read owners manuals. (We just replace fuses later... ;) )

But, more importantly, do not be tempted to replace the 3A fuse for your glove box lighter socket with a larger (10A or 15A) fuse. The wires running to the socket are not big enough for that much current and will melt down before that big fuse does.

Instead, buy and install one, heavy gauge battery tender lead, directly to/from the battery, and pull the end out from the crack between the faring and gas tank. You will find it infinitely useful for things like running your 12V air compressor (may need to change cords or buy adapters), powering other electronic doo-dads (you may have in a tank bag?) and, of course for charging the battery during any lay-offs.

On my '05 I had installed a powerlet socket in the faring panel just to the rear of the battery, and used it (with the appropriate adapters) for all the same functions. If you prefer to not have a pigtail cord dangling, that is another, neater option.

Is it impolite to chuckle at this thread?

Thumbs up to the direct-to-the-battery wiring. Can be used to charge or drain the battery -- or set it on fire.

Real men don't read owners manuals. (We just replace fuses later... ;) )

But, more importantly, do not be tempted to replace the 3A fuse for your glove box lighter socket with a larger (10A or 15A) fuse. The wires running to the socket are not big enough for that much current and will melt down before that big fuse does.

Instead, buy and install one, heavy gauge battery tender lead, directly to/from the battery, and pull the end out from the crack between the faring and gas tank. You will find it infinitely useful for things like running your 12V air compressor (may need to change cords or buy adapters), powering other electronic doo-dads (you may have in a tank bag?) and, of course for charging the battery during any lay-offs.

On my '05 I had installed a powerlet socket in the faring panel just to the rear of the battery, and used it (with the appropriate adapters) for all the same functions. If you prefer to not have a pigtail cord dangling, that is another, neater option.

Great point Fread!

I use my cigarette lighter port for powering my work and personal iphones-slash-nav/traffic/weather monitoring devices. Works great. I'd never plug anything that had moving parts into it. I have the tools to get to the battery stored on the bike (in case I need a jump). I should just go ahead and put a pigtail on.