Used slime pump for first time and blew fuse right off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the Battery Tender lead over under the dash and brought it up through the wiring loop just to the right of the ignition switch. With a cap on it, it almost looks like ti belongs there.

You can hide the battery tender pigtail in the space btwn the tank and side fairing. I've done it on all three FJR's. There is adequate space to reach in with one finger and retrieve it when needed.

You can hide the battery tender pigtail in the space btwn the tank and side fairing. I've done it on all three FJR's. There is adequate space to reach in with one finger and retrieve it when needed.
I did that too for the first year or so. It's nicely hidden but very easy to get to.

I put mine by the ignition switch to power my phone, GPS, etc.

First (OK, maybe second) thing I did to my new (to me) GEN III was add the BT pigtail up front. Like Art, it's hidden between the tank and fairing. That, in addition to two hot powerlets has my power needs covered front to back.

--G

Congratulations!You've earned membership in that elite group that has

discovered what happens when you plug a ten amp

compressor into a three amp fused circuit.

A raised glass to you sir. You earned it.
Yep, bean there, dun that!

Like, I only use that cigarette lighter for herb, man
crazy.gif
Me 2

Smoker_33.jpg

Not everyone has that problem. Some of us read the manual.
Install a battery tender cable on the battery and plug the Slime Pump into that. Been doing it for years.
Actually, I'm purdie sure the Slime pump comes w/ the proper fused/SAE connector. Least mine did anywayz. The OP can install it while he's change'in out that fuse. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got around to this little project and am happy to have it completed. Picked up the batter tender brand of pigtail and got it installed no problem. Note to anyone else who doesn't know: many of the fuses are directly next to the battery on the Gen 3 and you don't need to remove the upper cowling to deal with them. Because I had blown the 3am fuse I had to get in there to do that too. I put a shot of ACF 50 on all the connections and went to bed happier than I woke up!

And by the way, I chose to route the pigtail among the starboard side cable cluster at the handlebars. I do not need or use a heated jacket or other clothes and so my only expected use of the pigtail will be to run the compressor in the event of a flat. It hides completely at the bars.

Thanks again to those here who pointed out my ignorance and steered me in the right direction. I am one who believes strongly in beginners mind, or as EE Cummings said in one his poems: "All ignorance toboggans into know, and trudges up to ignorance again"! So damn true!

Here's a handy little adapter for that Slime Pump/Battery Tender pigtail you're hooking up to your battery. Extends its usefulness for lots of other gadgets. Low cost too.

Z_xM8vlcpEx_.JPG

I just Googled "Battery Tender USB adapter"--got lots of sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, smartass boys .... how do light your doobies since there really isn't a cigarette lighter in the bike?

I'm wondering if you can even buy a cigarette lighter at Auto Zone these days. (On second thought, you probably can.)

Here's a handy little adapter for that Slime Pump/Battery Tender pigtail you're hooking up to your battery. Extends its usefulness for lots of other gadgets. Low cost too.
Z_xM8vlcpEx_.JPG

I just Googled "Battery Tender USB adapter"--got lots of sources.
That's how I keep my phone charged when I'm using it for a GPS and / or MP3 player. Just be aware that these things draw current even when nothing's plugged into them. If it's not on a switched circuit it will run the battery down over time.