Stange Reserve Trip Gauge Display

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbluefjr

Reaction score
hello

i have a 2012 fjr with 6800 miles on it. no mods. I bought it new In 2012 but had a back operation the following summer so it sat in a warehouse for one summer and two winters.

this year I took it out in april and have been riding to work every day rain or shine. I never really let the gas gauge get to where the fuel reserve trip meter comes on but I am not the one that puts 2 dollars of gas in it every day. I run it low to about the last bar then fill, about 5 gallons or so.

yesterday I should have put gas in it but it wasn't Friday payday yet so I did not. on my way home the F 00 trip came on. now I live about 8 miles from work. I noticed my gauge rolling up the miles like I was moving 200 miles an hour. when I got home the gauge read 35 miles.

I did not put gas in it because I wanted to try it again the next day and it did the same thing.

has anyone seen this before???

the trip gauges work fine and said I had 192 miles when I filled up which is about rite. no problems with any other distance readings just the reserve gauge.

thanks in advanced.

no warranties left or anything so I'm on my own on this one. it's not that big a deal until I take a longer trip then I won't know how much is let on reserve.

thank you

Leo

That might have been 3.5 ( 3-1/2 ) miles, not 35 ( thirty five ). ???

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^^^^^ I vote with SLK50. That reserve gauge decimal point is too small to see when I'm wearing sunglasses.

Hey Leo, you over 40, bubba?

skip-larue-dirty-old-man.jpg

I will look again next time but I did not think it had a decimal point and was just a 2 digit count by miles, at least that is what I saw this morning filling up.

can someone check that on their machine when it changes for you and let me know how yours does it. thanks

leo

Mine has the decimal point. How do I know? Because I had the same reaction you did. After a minute or so, I realized the bike was NOT covering a mile every 30 seconds, and relaxed.

Well, I relaxed as much as I ever have been able to do with a bike on reserve in the middle of nowhere.

<edited 5 minutes later> Please note that my gauge is attached to a super-duper, high-tech, whiz-bang Gen3. Not sure what you're seeing on that outdated, slowpoke, Gen2 chunk of steel.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The '06 (and all subsequent years) have a decimal point in the reserve display. I check mine if it is set whenever I fill up, so I'm absolutely sure.