saddle bag lock friendly reminder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ga.rider

Reaction score
I checked the bolts on my 14s bag locks today and all 4 were finger tight. Removed them and applied blue loctite. no more worries.

I just re-applied loctite to mine after six years as one side was able to be loosened way to easy. I did both just to be safe.

I am the poster child for this.....

bump... tumble tumble tumble....

... Mine were not tight right out of the crate. They are now tight and locktited....
The locks aren't even fitted "out of the crate". They are fitted to the cases by the dealer, the instructions to fit them are supplied with the cases and clearly state to use Loctite.

1_Page_03.jpg

Of course, most dealers use monkeys to assemble new bikes, who can't (or won't) read.

... Mine were not tight right out of the crate. They are now tight and locktited....
The locks aren't even fitted "out of the crate". They are fitted to the cases by the dealer, the instructions to fit them are supplied with the cases and clearly state to use Loctite.

1_Page_03.jpg

Of course, most dealers use monkeys to assemble new bikes, who can't (or won't) read.
I uncrated my bike, with the assistance of the owner of the dealership. I understand that the dealership assembles this shit, it was just a figure of speech to emphasize that again, the dealership didn't follow assembly instructions during the assembly process. I don't know why most of them miss this. Guess they figure they know everything with no need to read the instructions. Go figure.

Yes, dealers do three things religiously during their $300 Dealer Prep... fail to Loktite the bag lock screws at all, Loktite them with RED high-strength so the bag can NEVER be serviced, and/or frequently fail to correctly engage the front ABS Housing notch.

Makes me never want to ride a new bike home. I'm terrified until I get my tools on it.

I loctited mine a while back. And fully intended to "pin" them. But there is not enough material in the bag "ears" to pin without drilling straight through the frame, which I won't do.

Maybe it is better that the children who assemble the new bikes don't use locktite on the little screws. That loctite stuff can do a number on plastics. My best guess is, if the child had a container of loctite sitting there, and dipped that tiny screw into it, he'd use WAY WAY too much, and get it all over the place. I'd just as soon do this myself. It does infuriate, though, that they charge so much for such crappy work. Yam might could solve the whole "problem" by putting the thread locker on the screws when they're produced. I've seen this before. Fasteners come with a dab of thread lock already on the threads, in a semi-dry state. Seeing how expensive a bag, set free, can be to replace, it would be a good move. OTOH, this bike is so utterly reliable, we wrench jockeys wouldn't be able to get much joy with our wrenches if all these little details were already taken care of.

Maybe it is better that the children who assemble the new bikes don't use locktite on the little screws. That loctite stuff can do a number on plastics. My best guess is, if the child had a container of loctite sitting there, and dipped that tiny screw into it, he'd use WAY WAY too much, and get it all over the place. I'd just as soon do this myself. It does infuriate, though, that they charge so much for such crappy work. Yam might could solve the whole "problem" by putting the thread locker on the screws when they're produced. I've seen this before. Fasteners come with a dab of thread lock already on the threads, in a semi-dry state. Seeing how expensive a bag, set free, can be to replace, it would be a good move. OTOH, this bike is so utterly reliable, we wrench jockeys wouldn't be able to get much joy with our wrenches if all these little details were already taken care of.
Very true....

I wonder what would happen if someone lost a bag and then went after the dealer for not using Loctite on those screws. Ultimately, the dealer is supposed to follow the specs in the manual,and by ignoring the Loctite, they are allowing the screws to come out and the bag to fall off...

Just a thought.