Congrats to AJ's Hometown Girl Holly Holm...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teehaml

Reaction score
Simply stunned …
uhoh.gif

Simply stunned …
uhoh.gif
I was stunned that Rousey didn't have a a hint of a defense against a straight left punch thrown by a southpaw. Every time she lunged at Holms she would drop her hands, even a beginner should know not to do that.
A little overconfidence, perhaps? She should have paid more attention to Holly's fight record. Holly won that fight even before stepping into the ring. And it was simply a beautiful knockout. Classic roundhouse kick to the side of the jaw, from what I could see.

Simply stunned …
uhoh.gif
I was stunned that Rousey didn't have a a hint of a defense against a straight left punch thrown by a southpaw. Every time she lunged at Holms she would drop her hands, even a beginner should know not to do that.
A little overconfidence, perhaps? She should have paid more attention to Holly's fight record. Holly won that fight even before stepping into the ring. And it was simply a beautiful knockout. Classic roundhouse kick to the side of the jaw, from what I could see.
Actually it was a kick to the neck just below the ear. What the highlights don't show is that Holly had knocked Rousey down with a straight left and she was totally dazed with her back to Holly when she got up. Holly spun Rousey around and delivered the kick, she probably could have also knocked Rousey out with another punch from either hand.

Classic example of a fighter listening to their own press and another fighter mastering their strengths to exploit the other's weaknesses. Holm clearly had great coaching and superior tactics... Holm fought perfectly I thought.

I like Rhonda a lot tho, she's got a ton of character. Let's see if she takes the beating properly. If she does, it could make for a great re-match.

A few less commercials and movies and some more traning and practice and Ronda would have had a better chance. The new up and coming people have the hunger and need to win . I hope Ronda takes a step back and takes her title back. Time will tell.

I thought she made the mistake of trying to outbox a boxer. I thought closing the distance and using close- order ground tactics would have been much more effective(?)

A rematch? One can only hope...

They're already talking rematch, but that's gonna be a while. Ronda's jaw is broken in 3 places. Will be wired shut for a month and recovery will continue from there. Could be out for up to a year; however, serious athletes rarely take the estimated time to get back to it.

I'm not big into MMA, but like to watch Holly's fights. She is best friends with a very good friend of mine, so we've all been skiing together, and Holly is cool people. She's pretty humble and works her ass off. After the way Ronda acted prior to and during the fight, I'm glad she got knocked the f*^# out. There's no disputing the judges' scores because a knock out is absolutely decisive.

The good thing is, with her jaw wired shut, Ronda won't be able to talk shit for a month. I hope when they fight again, Ronda is a little more humble, shows a little more sportsmanship and ends up back on her ass.

Yay Holly!!

Classic example of a fighter listening to their own press and another fighter mastering their strengths to exploit the other's weaknesses. Holm clearly had great coaching and superior tactics... Holm fought perfectly I thought.
I like Rhonda a lot tho, she's got a ton of character. Let's see if she takes the beating properly. If she does, it could make for a great re-match.
Exactly. Watching Rousey's interviews lately I also thought she was getting a little too full of herself. It will be interesting to see how she handles this loss.

I thought she made the mistake of trying to outbox a boxer. I thought closing the distance and using close- order ground tactics would have been much more effective(?)
Rousey did try multiple times to get in close and take Holm down but it did not work. In fact, one time Holm grabbed Rousey and took Ronda down to the canvas.

I have heard many comparisons of this fight to the Tyson/Douglas fight. In that case... Perhaps wiring Ronda's jaw was precautionary for her future fight opponent - no one likes to see ears bitten off.

I have heard many comparisons of this fight to the Tyson/Douglas fight. In that case... Perhaps wiring Ronda's jaw was precautionary for her future fight opponent - no one likes to see ears bitten off.
I can't find anything to support the comment that Ronda's jaw was broken...the MMA says it was just a rumor that someone started after she went to the hospital...and the ear biting you are referring to happened in the 2nd Tyson/Holyfield fight. Nothing unusual about the Tyson/Douglas fight except that Douglas was a 40-1 underdog.

OK, I have to agree mma, like most combat sports, can be brutal and barbaric. Unlike say, hockey, soccer or football where no one ever does anything physically violent against another person.

Oh, wait.