Tissington Ford

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you are enjoying a wet December.

If you could ship us half your rain both places would be happier.

Looks like you are enjoying a wet December.
If you could ship us half your rain both places would be happier.
North of England, Scotland and parts of Ireland have been having severe rainfall, more than a foot in 30 hours. So far, no lives lost, but enormous amount of damage and disruption, we are simply not used to such rainfall.

Where I live is a bit to the south of this weather, we've had a lot of wind and plenty of rain, but nothing like further north. I actually went in search of floods (just an excuse to ride). Everywhere was wet, fields flooded, mud and debris across many roads, but this ford was the nearest I got to a flood. It wasn't particularly deep, something like 6 inches.

But it was fun riding through it. Turned around to go through it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the people with weather woes from the north and west parts of your world, there seems to be a lot of extreme weather recently. Little boys seem to like to play in water :) Did ya have a big grin?

But really, I was expecting to see a car picture of a new Ford model.

Think about that little vent thingie on the final drive and the swirling, splashing that went on as you crossed...and re-crossed.

^^^

Good point. The final drive lube could come out looking like chocolate milk on the next change. Might be a good idea to open the fill port and check.

Sorry for the people with weather woes from the north and west parts of your world, there seems to be a lot of extreme weather recently. ...
It's people like me burning fossil fuel unnecessarily causing global warming and the associated climate change.
... Little boys seem to like to play in water :) Did ya have a big grin? ...
How do you know I had a big grin? Were you watching?

... Think about that little vent thingie on the final drive and the swirling, splashing that went on as you crossed...and re-crossed.
My bow wave would have kept the water level low enough to prevent any ingress, and, in any case, I wasn't in it long enough. I hope.
^^^Good point. The final drive lube could come out looking like chocolate milk on the next change. Might be a good idea to open the fill port and check.
Hmm. Might do that.

Nice to see some decisions made to save some money there.
smile.png
Instead of creating drainage or a way to get the water to run off somewhere, they put up a depth gauge.
punk.gif

Nice to see some decisions made to save some money there.
smile.png
Instead of creating drainage or a way to get the water to run off somewhere, they put up a depth gauge.
punk.gif
But note they had to add an extension to the depth gauge.

This ford has been here since time immemorial. It's nicely surfaced with cobbles, probably slippery, but certainly no issues to ride through. Unless you try at a time when it needs that gauge extension!

As for improving drainage, people are beginning to learn that messing with the natural flow of water very often has unwanted consequences, causing problems elsewhere. The devil you know can be a lot better than the one you bring upon yourself by such "improvements".

Isn't it "Fjord?" Or something like that? I never knew what to do with the unnecessary "j."
Nope. You've never forded a stream???? Or is that unknown out west......
tongue.png
AJ, just what in the Hell is Walter talking about? He must be drinking a pitcher of Mojitos, with RadioHowie this afternoon. JSNS, los Borracheros ese!

pxmarch02.jpg

Isn't it "Fjord?" Or something like that? I never knew what to do with the unnecessary "j."
That 'j' mispronounced something like a 'y', so "fiyord", the 'i' as short as you can make it. Or something like that.

...AJ, this is what that Brit Limey really meant! JSNS, FORD!

fordlogo.jpg
No thanks. Never liked Fords of any description. Pure prejudice. Well, maybe something to do with those vacuum operated windscreen wipers that slowed to a standstill just as you try to overtake a truck throwing up vast amounts of spray. Totally put me off Fords.

(Where have I come across such prejudice before?
rolleyes.gif
)

^^^
Good point. The final drive lube could come out looking like chocolate milk on the next change. Might be a good idea to open the fill port and check.
Well, I don't know how serious you were. These bikes are designed to pound down motorways through pouring rain at any speed the tyres are capable of retaining sufficient grip to drive the beast. Under these conditions, spray is hitting all over at speeds of 70 mph (the UK speed limit) or well above (let's say 90+ mph on a private road). Much worse than 10 mph through a bit of standing water.

So I put the bike in its centre-stand, looked at the filler plug. It was covered in dried mud (there's a surprise!). Sprayed it with some brake cleaner and wiped it clean round the plug (too cold out to wash it).

(Click on image for larger view)

Undid the plug to find ...

... a smear of pristinely clean 8600 mile old oil seeping out, and a perfectly clean filler plug.

Wiped off the oil, put back the filler plug.

Decided I'm too gullible by half :fool: .

I was entirely serious! I have seen emulsified goo come out of final drives before (after excessive moisture events), including on my previous bike. I actually had this happen on a Yamaha Venture I owned. I bought it used (abused?) and at the first final drive fluid change it was pretty bad - don't know what the previous owner did. The Venture has essentially the same drive unit as the FJR.

Edit: See this post

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/149413-rear-end-oil-milky/?hl=++final+++drive+++water&do=findComment&comment=1018840