Five Rides...Five Engine Quits...2006 Auto Shifter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamanick

Reaction score
My buddy just bought this used 2006 FJR1300 with the Auto Shifter. I have my own 2005 FJR. We've taken five rides and about 45 mins into each ride the engine suddenly dies. The "shift" light comes on. The bike won't start until after about 5 minutes or so every time. We've looked at the posts on ignition stuff, spider issues, kickstand, etc. We took the tank off and examined the wiring. No apparent issues. Yesterday it die again about 45 mins in to the ride and it started after about 5 minutes but then couldn't shift it into gear with the hand shifter or the foot shifter. He did put the kickstand down twice and kicked it up hard and it started. The kickstand wiring looks fine. After we get it running no issue again. Have not been on a ride more than 90 minutes yet. Could be so many things. Runs great otherwise. Anyone heard of "carbon build up" being and issue that would result in engine dying? Any direction would be helpful. Thanks!

In the order i can think of things:

1) You tighten down the battery terminals....not just visually check them?

2) You say you looked at the ignition switch forum stuff, but have you confirmed the ignition switch was recalled AND replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy just bought this used 2006 FJR1300 with the Auto Shifter. I have my own 2005 FJR. We've taken five rides and about 45 mins into each ride the engine suddenly dies. The "shift" light comes on. The bike won't start until after about 5 minutes or so every time. We've looked at the posts on ignition stuff, spider issues, kickstand, etc. We took the tank off and examined the wiring. No apparent issues. Yesterday it die again about 45 mins in to the ride and it started after about 5 minutes but then couldn't shift it into gear with the hand shifter or the foot shifter. He did put the kickstand down twice and kicked it up hard and it started. The kickstand wiring looks fine. After we get it running no issue again. Have not been on a ride more than 90 minutes yet. Could be so many things. Runs great otherwise. Anyone heard of "carbon build up" being and issue that would result in engine dying? Any direction would be helpful. Thanks!
It should be easy to eliminate the kickstand switch. Just follow the wiring back from the switch until you come to a connector. Open the connector and install a temporary jumper on the 'bike' side (not the switch side).

Word of warning: This will eliminate the safety function of the kickstand switch so use this at your own discretion..........

Short answer, is NO...it's not carbon buildup. I would start with that kickstand switch. I would do more than "look."

Have you pulled any codes off of it yet? That would be helpful. Connector is under the cover panel with the glove box.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was happening when it died? Was it simply cruising along, while changing gear or waiting at lights? Does the coolant temperature display show normal? Symptoms could easily be caused by the engine being too hot.

What was happening when it died? Was it simply cruising along, while changing gear or waiting at lights? Does the coolant temperature display show normal? Symptoms could easily be caused by the engine being too hot.
Every time it has happened under power cruising along. Just quits. Fortunately not on a freeway or in heavy traffic. No overheat issues. thanks.

Yamanick,

When it quits:

• Is it a hard stop, like someone flicked off the ignition switch, or does it "sputter" and die?
  • Do all the lights and other electronics stay on?
When trying to restart it during that "5 minute" period:

• Does the starter turn the engine, or does it not respond to the starter button?
  • Does the starter spin the engine quickly and consistently, or is it slow, or not spinning at all?
  • Does it sound like the engine is trying to fire (but sputtering?) or does it just spin without ever "firing"?