You just can't fix stupid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerjasen

Reaction score
So, yea, this is happening in my garage right now.

20160213_100030_zpsj7qufekd.jpg

As my good friend Redfish Hunter once said...

Some folks know so much that you cannot teach them anything.
This would not apply to me. I don't know that much, but sometimes I am stupid, sometimes I learn from my mistakes, and sometimes enough time passes that I forget how bad the first experience is and repeat it.

This is not one of those times however, because sometimes even the stupid can get lucky. I got a line on a sweet deal from someone putting their bike back to stock in order to sell it and jumped all over it.

My forks + money = This!

2016-02-13%2015.49.53_zpssmlztqp5.jpg

My friend, I hate to do it but... I disagree. I make most of my wife's money fixing Stupid. I did it all day today. I will do it again tomorrow. I will tell you that Stupid does NOT like to get fixed. Stupid gets mad as hell no matter how tactful you are. I am not very tactful these days.

But to address your situation, you are looking pretty darn clever to me right now. The only "stupid" part is that you blocked the garage door with your FJR. The new suspension should help you a lot. Just going to the Gen3 rear shock helped Dad's '07 more than I ever believed. Good luck.

Yea, 60K on the stock shock, I'm expecting this to feel a little different.

I didn't do it sooner because of $$$. I got myself a screaming deal on this full setup though.

My friend, I hate to do it but... I disagree. I make most of my wife's money fixing Stupid. I did it all day today. I will do it again tomorrow. I will tell you that Stupid does NOT like to get fixed. Stupid gets mad as hell no matter how tactful you are. I am not very tactful these days.
That's fixing the results of stupid. Traxxion fixed my stupid results last time. Fixing the actual stupid...I'm not going to even tip toe into that discussion with you and the issues you describe out of fear for my life.
biggrin.png

That's fixing the results of stupid. Traxxion fixed my stupid results last time. Fixing the actual stupid...I'm not going to even tip toe into that discussion with you and the issues you describe out of fear for my life.
biggrin.png
Out of likes. When I reload my likes, I'll unload here.
smile.png

Yea, 60K on the stock shock, I'm expecting this to feel a little different.
I didn't do it sooner because of $$$. I got myself a screaming deal on this full setup though.
Oh it'll be different for sure. Aftermarket suspenders will enable the big gurl to dance!

Congrats Jasen.

--G

Ever go looking for info on how to do something, you know, like how to install the rear shock, and you find some advice that's completely retarded? You tell yourself it's retarded. Then after trying everything you think is a good idea you try the retard's idea and discover he's a friggin genius?

Yea, disconnecting all the mounting bolts but one upper one on the subframe and then gently lifting the subframe is the key to finding that 1/8" cleranace that Yamaha decided not to give you that you so desparately need to get that top bolt all the way out. Yea, 1/8" to the top or 1/4" more room. Heck, the plate that's in the way could have had a notch cut out of it because it's not doing anything at that particular point.

Thanks to genus H Marc Lewis -> https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=48

Also, thanks to warchild for the scissor jack idea for the rear swingarm. Perfect for getting those holes perfectly aligned without pulling any muscles. -> https://www.fjrtech.net/wilbers2.cfm

Yamaha should have added one step. "Remove every fastener aft of the gas tank" at the beginning.

Ok, break is over, back to figuring out where all those fasteners go. Good news is the swingarm is hanging on the new shock at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
After removing and replacing the rear shock one time, it becomes a one hour job, from tools out to tools up.

Jeez Jasen, don't fucking break it!