2006 Ground spider repair question?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Hi guy's, I have been out of the loop for awhile. I just bought a 2006 with 16,000 miles. I preparation to install a electronic cruise (it's been awhile since i did that) I was looking over all the ground spiders. I was bitten on my other 2006 model, and don't want a issue later.

After running the VIN at my local dealer I found the bike had a new main harness and ignition switch replaced. I checked the spider's and they all looked perfect. I did not notice any extra harness connected to any of the spiders. Should there be?

It looks like no one makes a harness these days, so I am wondering if I need to make one myself??? Or, is the factory fix good enough??

Any insight would be very helpful.

Thanks Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the DIY spider bypass about 130,000 miles ago, and have not had any issues with ground spiders (nor do I expect to ever have any). So why not simply cut them off and ground each block, except for the two ECU spiders? If you search around you find the two ECU spiders per Ionbeam's post, I can't remember off hand but might be the S5 & S7, but pls double check Allan's post.

As for the ignition switch bypass harness, I believe Brodie has a post listing out the components required, it's a pretty straightforward harness you can DIY.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about just ordering the connectors from Eastern Beaver and make a spider harness. On my other 06 I cut all the spiders off and soldered the wires together. This was before the factory recall. I know I don't want to cut off the connectors on a new harness.

But I don't want to be stranded somewhere in BFE..

Smitty

Hey Smitty!

Not sure if they are still selling them but, I installed the "Brodie Harness" on my 07. I had one bbqed spider under the tank.

Have had zero issues since. Hope all is well otherwise!

Brodie doesn't make his harness anymore, it was a real nice bit of wiring, I had one installed on my 07.

When a mate showed up with the classic S6 fault, I made up my own harness for him.

I soldered 2.5 mm pig tails on to all the six 12 volt spider bridging pieces, then soldered them to a 4 mm trunk wire that ran back to -VE terminal.

Not as nice as Brodie's but it did the job, took about 3 hours total.

The 6 volt transducer neutrals are the S2 and S5 connectors. Do NOT connect to 12V negative, just just carbon grease to treat them.

Dielectric grease is an insulator and may make a bad pin connector worse.

Spiders.jpg

Did no one pick up on the fact that Smitty just bought his 7th FJR (or is it 9th?) !!!

Has anyone else around here ever owned as many as him?
no.gif

9 FJRs!!! Yes sir, you definitely have a motorcycle problem ... an FJR problem!

But ... you did need a street bike. ;-)

I have 2006 with a fried S4. Is there a trick to getting access to it? I can touch it and see it but soldering the wires together in its present location is not possible on my bike. Does the bundle come out of the loom or is there some way to bring the harness up to a working level? Any intelligent suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What is keeping this section of the harness close to the engine are the pigtails that exit the frame heading over toward the glove box/filler neck area. If you remove the left lower cowling you should be able to detach these connectors from the sub harness and pull them back by the main harness within the engine bay. They won't pull through but it should give you enough slack to do the work.

By the way, this is a 2006 bike, and Yamaha has issued a recall just for this problem. Get the bike to your Yamaha dealer to have it fixed on their dime!

Brodie

rolleyes.gif