Tour of Honor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walter

Reaction score
Any one else participating this year in this rally? I signed up and excited as this will be my first rally to get my feet wet and try the world of motorcycle rallying out. Looks to be good fun and help raise funds for some good causes.

https://www.tourofhonor.com/index.html

Awesome and thanks no this is my first rally and so my first TOH but once I seen the info on it I couldn't resist. Many of my family have served and I am of a strong conviction that we should always support and remember our military, police and firefighters in this country. So this year my first Im riding in honor of my father in law and my first T shirt will go to him.

So this year my first Im riding in honor of my father in law and my first T shirt will go to him.
That's pretty cool.
specool.gif

That's an awesome reason to ride!

Last year was my first and I was on the fence between signing up for TOH or doing the Team Strange Whispering Giants tour. It wasn't really in the cards for me to do both and I was really going back and forth in my brain trying to decide since I knew both would be fun and an opportunity to see some cool stuff. I'd learned about the Whispering Giants from following some friends on Butt Lite in 2014 and really wanted to see some and learn more about them. I was also familiar with TOH from some folks I know who rally including Chris "Parrothead" Comly who has held a single digit TOH flag for the past couple of years.My decision was made when I learned of the passing of a former customer of the Harley dealership I used to work for.

Ray Devlin was a gentleman I'd waited on more times than I'll ever be able to remember. He was sometimes a little quirky and some of the parts department staff didn't like to deal with him. He was the kind of guy who would ask the opinions of everyone in the building a dozen times before he'd make a decision. He was a little "slow" if that's the right way to express it, but a genuinely nice and caring guy. I found out about his passing from a Facebook post put up by one of my former coworkers. I knew Ray had served but until this happened I didn't know the details. Ray had done a tour at the end of Viet Nam then stayed in the reserves and even saw action in the first part of Desert Storm. He's interred at Fort Indiantown Gap National Cemetery in PA not far from where he lived.I rode last year for Ray feeling it was at least a small way to honor his memory and I'm doing it again for the same reason. Although it won't count for any points on the tour I plan to take my TOH flag over to take a picture with his headstone.

Thanks Ray. You are missed.

Rider #111 this year (for the 111th MI Bde at Ft Huachuca, AZ). I'll be hitting the road tonight at midnight.

I finished Ohio today.

1kRSUP.jpg
This memorial is awesome. And there are so many more like these out there and that is what's so great about this rally.

Congrats Phil on your First place trophy for Ohio!

I see John A. did well in AZ too. This'll be another fun year of riding.

Congrats on knocking out a trophy finish! Other commitments this weekend and next are going to delay my start but I'm having fun planning routes. I hit 21 memorials last year want to hit at least 25 possibly 30 this year. Already figured on a couple when I attend EOM in September.

I wanted to finish up Virginia this weekend, but dropped the ball. Only got 5 of 7, but ended up riding some great roads (and it was my first long ride since taking the car tire off). I should be able to get out to the Eastern Shore on Tuesday in order to finish up the state.

2016_189_VA7-XL.jpg

I got up at 2am on the 1st, and finished my state just after 11pm that night. Torrential rain and slow traffic on the coastal roads made it slow, but overall it was great. Kept docs for IBA cert, but ended up deciding to do that separately. Had a great time. If I get time I'll post a couple of pictures this week. Regards- TOH rider #233.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got up at 2am on the 1st, and finished my state just after 11pm that night. Torrential rain and slow traffic on the coastal roads made it slow, but overall it was great. Kept docs for IBA cert, but ended up deciding to do that separately. Had a great time. If I get time I'll post a couple of pictures this week. Regards- TOH rider #233.
So I guess Lee Martin is your alias name
rolleyes.gif

Finished up SC yesterday. Ran into shit loads of traffic coming from Myrtle Beach, a lot of it going back to Virginia. FYB keep those Yankees up there
tongue.png

An interesting side note to the start of this years TOH: John Langan, rider #1 (last years numero uno memorial rider) just completed SOUTH CAROLINA. John is from California. lol Me thinks that ol' boy is gonna make a run at repeating.

You read about it here first. lol

Maybe I need to start thinking about rolling Old Yeller out of the shed.
rolleyes.gif

An interesting side note to the start of this years TOH: John Langan, rider #1 (last years numero uno memorial rider) just completed SOUTH CAROLINA. John is from California. lol Me thinks that ol' boy is gonna make a run at repeating.
You read about it here first. lol

Maybe I need to start thinking about rolling Old Yeller out of the shed.
rolleyes.gif
When I was at Saluda, SC4 I was gassing up and saw a Gold Wing at a nearby restaurant. I sauntered over and saw an IBR plate on the bike from CA and went into the restaurant to introduce my self to the rider. I figured this rider was probably on the TOH and would probably ace me out of a trophy. John introduced himself and said he had finished three IBRs and now he didn't participate if he couldn't finish well. At this point, I didn't know the notoriety of John and didn't have any idea he was rider #1. I mentioned that I was doing the TOH and asked if he was doing it. hahaha He said he was on a National Parks Tour and hadn't started the TOH yet. He was heading up near Spartanburg, SC that night and that's where we parted ways. When I got home I discovered who I was talking to. So evidently John vacuumed up SC Saturday and Sunday. I probably didn't beat him by much when I posted my pics.