MI to Red Horse Diner & BAck

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisJ

Reaction score
Finished installation of the Gen III shock in the '09 this morning, spent a couple of hours checking all the fasteners, bolts and fluids, gave the plastics and wheels a quick clean up, set the shock rebound at 12 clicks and headed for Ellensburg about 1PM. Just about perfect temps, lots of truck traffic and still a short section before Cle Elum of reduced speed and two lanes East, one lane West. That whole section looks like it should be finished in another month or so. Mid afternoon lunch at the Red Horse Diner. Excellent steak fries and burger. Cold Root beer hit the spot. Back to Mercer Island, stop for gas at the truck stop just before North Bend. Truckers conventon. 47 miles showing on the Reserve Mileage and took 4.731 gallons. Really like the Gen III shock. Gives a much smoother ride for me. I weigh in right around 185# with gear, tank bag and a couple of liters of water. No real fast twisties but bike tracks nicely, minimal effort required for turns, running T30's which I will have to replace this summer I think.

Congrats on the new shock. Like you I have an 09. I have been running Bridgestones for a while now. The T30 GTs are a disappointing vs. the 023 GT. The T30 I have will last about 5k miles if that. I was getting about 8k out of the 023 GTs. I have some T30 EVO GTs to mount up and see how those wear. Thankfully I do my own tires. 5k miles on a set of tires is rubbish.

PS the Red Horse Diner is most excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new shock. Like you I have an 09. I have been running Bridgestones for a while now. The T30 GTs are a disappointing vs. the 023 GT. The T30 I have will last about 5k miles if that. I was getting about 8k out of the 023 GTs. I have some T30 EVO GTs to mount up and see how those wear. Thankfully I do my own tires. 5k miles on a set of tires is rubbish.
PS the Red Horse Diner is most excellent.
You turned me on to the Red Horse a few years back on one of your ride reports, usually get there once or twice a year. Breakfast stops at 1100.