A Saddlesore virgin gives it a try -- LONG POST

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on getting the ride done and I'm glad you made it home safely, mishaps and all. I've been hearing the call of the SS1K sirens, but haven't yet succumbed.

Brilliantly told adventure.

Hope your mirror really is firm, the GenIII mirror mounting frame doesn't bend like the GenII's frame, it breaks.

(Didn't somebody post recently asking if you could ride an FJR in the rain?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounded a lot my my SS1K. (Except for the get off). Great job just pushing on. Really glad I had laser surgery many years ago to eliminate the need for glasses. Always hated wearing them under a helmet. A tough bike and good gear are money well spent! Congrats on the SS1K!

Long post? more like novel. Anyway good job finishing. They are as hard as you want them to be or as easy as you want. Me, I avoid riding slabs as much as possible. I've done three and very minimal slab time in any of them. They aren't really that hard to do after your first one. Enjoy the accomplishment, the best part is putting the license plate holder on your bike, you'll be surprised at how many people will ask about it.
smile.png

Congratulations on the ride! Sorry for the get-off, but at least you're in one piece and the bike isn't too scuffed up!

Florida rain is something to behold...BTDT many times. My mother lives off the Wesley Chapel exit...that road construction is a real PITA on a bike in the rain. I've done a late night run in the rain through there and it's no picnic.

I may be in Texas but you were splashing around my old stomping grounds. I've eaten at the Archer Rd McDonalds many times myself. Lived in Brandon, and used to travel I-4 to my Reserve base in Orlando monthly. Nice to see the route take familiar roads to me.

I learned to ride in Florida and can't count the number of times I had to ride home from work in a Florida thunderstorm. They are doable but they certainly aren't fun.

Just so you know, your side bags DO come off the bike. So you could have gotten into dry clothes and dry rainsuit and then put the bag back on when you went back outside. I have no tips for the changing clothes in a public post office lobby though.

My SS1K suggestion. Do as I did and replace rain and crashing with ride worthy BBQ. It's not quite the adventure, but it sure does taste better.
biggrin.png

Glad you and the bike made it relatively unscathed. Here's hoping the cert comes through with less pain.

Great story Hud, glad you came out of it intact!

Congrats on the SS1K, now you're on the slippery slope of LD riding!

--G

makes me even more determined to do mine this spring hopefully. I don't think I will aspire to do a lot of it but a SS1K is a goal I very much want to attain for personal reasons.

Outstanding!

Glad you were able to awaken the sleeping Esther and continue your wild ride. Scratches, like scars, are "proof of life" - and great conversation starters for those RTE parking lot lying-sessions.

You never forget your first. Not that there will be any chance of that happening.

Congratulations!

Thanks again, y'all. The IBA packet has been assembled and checked, and will get scanned and emailed this morning. Fingers crossed that it's sufficiently detailed.

Please bear in mind that the IBA has't certified anything yet. I'm going to try their electronic submission process. See if it expedites things.
I submitted mine many weeks ago. The only response I've seen thus far was an auto-response email to my application.

<twiddling thumbs>
I did my ride on June 27, 2015. Submitted by email a week or so later. Just received an email yesterday saying my ride was certified. It does take some time, but they will get to it!

Congrats on completing it in light of the circumstances. My firts Saddle Sore ride was done on August 8th and paperwork went in almost immediately after. I'm still waiting. I understand the IBA meet over Labor Day weekend may be partly to blame for slowing the process.

Greta read. Makes me realize how easily my ride went by comparison.