accessory outlets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter.jpg

Just don't exceed the 3 amp rating of the glove box accessory plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks ionbeam. but was looking to add one connected to a fuse block so gps doesn't turn off when switch key off.

You could use something like this as your distribution block: Eastern Beaver PC-8. It allows you to have 2 un-switched circuits and 6 switched circuits, so you could hardwire your nav to one of the hot circuits. Or, you could use one of these and wire it straight to the battery for a dual USB power option. It comes with an inline fuse and is weatherproof when the rubber end cap is on. Or, if you're looking for an automotive type 12V receptacle, I can't help you with that
wink.png

Powerlet socket with MCL reservoir cover and ball. Mine is wired with an in-line fuse directly to the battery, works the same as you would with unswitched fuse block- gps stays on when ignition is turned off.

DSCN1241.jpg

I put an Eastern Beaver fuse block under my seat. Then I ran the GPS mount cable to it. It also has my seat heater, tank bag power, plug for heated gear, etc.

Fuse blocks really are worth the extra effort to install if you think you might ever want to power anything besides the GPS.

On second thought, just put one in. Even if you don't want to power more farkles today you inevitably will tomorrow!

I had a cigarette lighter plug on my Gen I mounted in the black plastic panel on the right side that was wired directly to the battery, but would have been better going into a fuse block or something similar. Those battery posts can get pretty crowded. Having the plug on the removable panel made it tougher to remove the panel when I wanted to--it stayed fastened to the bike by the wires.

I don't know what this connector is called, but if you buy a Slime pump or a Battery Tender, they both come with a plug like this that can be wired to the battery or fuse block, etc. The connector looks like the right side of this illustration (from the Aerostich catalog), but doesn't have to go to a lighter plug as this one does. It's handy to have this pigtail in reach somewhere near your forks for phone charging, GPS, pump, heated clothing, whatever.
117_1ha.jpg

You can get a USB adapter for it for about 10 bucks.

%24_35.JPG

Home made bracket, weather resistant 5 volt taps on left for charging cell phone, camera, etc., 12 volt cigarette plug on right for Garmin nuvi, RAM 1 inch ball in the middle:

DSC00002-1.JPG

Mounted to the two 3/8" tapped holes in the Heli top triple clamp:

DSC00003-1.JPG

My GPS is a Tom Tom (auto version) - it runs on 5 volts, 1.2 amps. The plug on the GPS is a mini-usb. I bought the (VERY) expensive powerlet wire to run the gps straight to the fuze block. Now I have a loose connection within the powerlet wire where the step down transformer is. The wire is less than a year old. Pisses me off.

I can't find anyone else that sells such a wire (12 volt to battery/fuze block on one side, 5 volt 1.2 amp mini-usb on the other)

If I put 2.1 amps to my GPS, it will shut itself off in 30 seconds. It's got to be 1.2 or less. If anyone has a suggestion on a source for this wire, PLEASE advise.

Otherwise, I'm down to running the cigarette adapter to a socket (glove box or other). OR replace the GPS.

Thanks for the thread jack, OP

My GPS is a Tom Tom (auto version) - it runs on 5 volts, 1.2 amps. The plug on the GPS is a mini-usb. I bought the (VERY) expensive powerlet wire to run the gps straight to the fuze block. Now I have a loose connection within the powerlet wire where the step down transformer is. The wire is less than a year old. Pisses me off.
I can't find anyone else that sells such a wire (12 volt to battery/fuze block on one side, 5 volt 1.2 amp mini-usb on the other)

If I put 2.1 amps to my GPS, it will shut itself off in 30 seconds. It's got to be 1.2 or less. If anyone has a suggestion on a source for this wire, PLEASE advise.

Otherwise, I'm down to running the cigarette adapter to a socket (glove box or other). OR replace the GPS.

How about something like this: Direct Mini USB Hardwire. I have another version of this cord and I will tell you that the transformer is NOT weather sealed. You would need to place it somewhere fairly dry. But it is 1.2 amps
smile.png

I had a cigarette lighter plug on my Gen I mounted in the black plastic panel on the right side that was wired directly to the battery, but would have been better going into a fuse block or something similar. Those battery posts can get pretty crowded. Having the plug on the removable panel made it tougher to remove the panel when I wanted to--it stayed fastened to the bike by the wires.
I don't know what this connector is called, but if you buy a Slime pump or a Battery Tender, they both come with a plug like this that can be wired to the battery or fuse block, etc. The connector looks like the right side of this illustration (from the Aerostich catalog), but doesn't have to go to a lighter plug as this one does. It's handy to have this pigtail in reach somewhere near your forks for phone charging, GPS, pump, heated clothing, whatever.
117_1ha.jpg

You can get a USB adapter for it for about 10 bucks.

%24_35.JPG
Yeah, I have a battery tender cable connected directly to the battery, too. I use it for the usb thing you picture, a Detran volt meter that plugs in just like that, and of course the battery tender. Handy little cable. I ran mine out between the dash panel and fairing by my right knee and just tuck it in where the throttle cables run under the triple tree when not in use.

To continue the hyjack, I had them (Powerlet) also make me one but sent it back and had them make it with heavier wire(the original was too thin and constantly broke).

It was made to adapt an automotive Garmin 2350 (5 volts) up to 12 volts. The rectangular part seen is the voltage "regulator". I had it wired into the directional RUNNING LIGHT so it would come on with the ignition. And it is hardwired into the bike, nothing to come loose...

PM me if interested, it works fine, (I ended up replacing it with a 590)

Well I got inspired and emailed Powerlet about my disappointment. Turns out I bought the wire less than a year ago (May 2015) and they will honor the warranty (I didn't even know I had a year warranty). So they are sending me (2-day air no less) a replacement wire.

At the same time, I ordered Tiger's suggestion. I've got a spare circuit on my fuze block so I'm going to wire both wires in next week. Then I leave for SEOR May 10 - hopefully I can get there and back on both wires. When I get home, I can re-group.

I think the Tom Tom Rider is my long term goal - I just want to do some more research before I pull the trigger.

Again OP - thanks for the hijack on your thread!!!

IME, a cigarette lighter used for accessories on a motorcycle is a gamble at best.

In a cage, they often come loose, need re-adjustment for contact, are big and not waterproof.

The BMW styled Powerlet socket is smaller, designed for bikes, won't work loose and will disconnect if you pull it hard enough (forget its hooked up to say your heated gear).

Just my 2cts..

On each of my bikes I buy 2 Battery Tender cables with SAE connectors. I connect longer wires to them which go to an Eastern Beaver fuse block. I run these up to the handlebar area. One connects to my GPS, I made a cable for that, the other connects to my tankbag which has a USB charger inside. Both the tankbag and the GPS move from one bike to another.

What has been said about cigarette plugs is true, but some things just come with a cig plug already attached. You might consider adding an inexpensive adapter. My first FJR had a BMW/Powerlet plug mounted, but the PO included the adapter so I could still use it with any kind of plug. I'm sure a Powerlet distributor could fix you up for a few bucks, then you're good to go whatever kind of plug you need to use.

Latest posts