Final drive gear oil capicity

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Just changed out my final drive gear oil and the amount in the drain pan looked kind of miniscule when I was done so I poured it in my measuring cup and it was just a hair over 100ml from the factory. Seems like I put more than that back in as directed to the edge of the filler hole. I will measure it again at the next service when I know I filled it. Anyone know off hand the capacity?

It's possible to squeeze in some extra gear oil. If you slowly spin the tire while filling the very viscous gear oil will follow the gears around, you can get a surprising amount in like that. Then it will automatically adjust to the correct level by blowing all the extra out the top vent
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of demonstrating my inadequacies as a mechanic....

.... oh - who am I kidding, EVERYONE on this forum knows about my "inadequacies".

(sigh)

Pants NEPRT post, take Two:

REGARDLESS of how much oil you put in your final drive, I'd recommend torqueing the drain bolt to no less than 20 ft. pds. Those with more experience than I can do this WITHOUT a torque wrench. However it gets done, hopefully it gets done. If you ignore this suggestion, bad things can happen - DAMHIK. Alternatively, if you are insistent on not torqueing your drain plug, consider carrying a couple of fishing corks with you. I know that reads odd, but trust me, it can help.

IMG_7368_zpsljc0simr.jpg

.... oh - who am I kidding, EVERYONE on this forum knows about my "inadequacies".

(sigh)

REGARDLESS of how much oil you put in your final drive, I'd recommend torqueing the drain bolt to no less than 20 ft. pds. Those with more experience than I can do this WITHOUT a torque wrench. However it gets done, hopefully it gets done. If you ignore this suggestion, bad things can happen - DAMHIK. Alternatively, if you are insistent on not torqueing your drain plug, consider carrying a couple of fishing corks with you. I know that reads odd, but trust me, it can help.

IMG_7368_zpsljc0simr.jpg
Torque spec. 17 ft pounds.

(sigh)

IMG_7368_zpsljc0simr.jpg
Well, that's just not right. I can't do anything on my bikes without winding up with oil all over me, in my hair, dripping outa my eyebrows ......

And you're wearing white shoes and shorts for cryin' out loud
uhoh.gif