The Alps 2015 - Schwitzerland, Italy, Lichtenstein and Austria

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Dane

Reaction score
A short ride report from 2015

First quite short about the group - we were 29, and most in the group are skilled drivers, so when possible bikes and drivers were challenging the curvy roads in the alps. We had one accident in heavy rain, but luckily only with some minor damage to the motorcycle.

We started out in Basel, Schwitzerland following country and mountain roads zig zag to Innertkirchen with the highest mountain pass of the day in 5.150 feet ( 1.568 meters ) at Glaubenbuelenpass.

Throughout the days in the Alps the weather changed a lot. It was the first 1½ weeks in june - so my advice is to do a trip like this a bit later - and no later than the first two weeks in september.

After heavy rain during the night we started out on day 2 in raingear travelling south to Italy on very curvy mountain roads to Lake Maggiore passing 5 mountain passes all with an altitude above 6.500 feet ( 2.000 meters ). In Italy summer had come, and despite roads that could use a bit of maintenance, we had a great day with a lot of K&K's ( danish for kilometers and curves/ turns ).

On the way back to Innertkirchen we passed the St. Gotthard and Furka passes with some amazing views of the Alps still with snow on the mountains.

On one of the days in Schwitzerland we caught up with the bicycle riders and the caravan of "Tour de Swiss" race on the cobble road to St. Gotthard pass. Impressive speed on the downhill with only a thumb-size contact to the road on each wheel.

After 4 days in Schwitzerland we drove east through Lichtenstein to Austria to our next hotel in Bludenz - where we stayed for another 4 days making daily routes of between 3-400 km's a day. Not far in distance, but on narrow and curvy mountain roads, that was enough
smile.png

Silvretta High mountain road ( Hoch-Alpen-Strasse ) St. Anton, Lech, Zürs and Flexenpass being some of the most spectacular places we came through.

I can certainly recommend the Alps and should anyone be tempted, I have got GPS tracks and routes to share. There is an impressive number of hotels in the Alps - MoHo - motorcyclist hotels, that welcome you with good food and reasonable prices. This is a link to a webpage, that I use - but there are a lot more up there.. https://www.moho.info/en

I am having trouble posting pictures from the trip - "Image" and "My media" apparantly doesn't work right now. I will try later.

Awesome sounding trip, looking forward to seeing the pictures!

For posting pictures: First upload to a photo hosting site such as photobucket and use the share links and feature.

--G