Interesting story

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
When I moved to Lapine I found my neighbor owned an 04 FJR and had never taken a road trip. I helped him farkle the hell out of it and we rode together to NAFO in Golden. We did over 4 thousand miles of pure fun except for my performance award for going FJR nominal in Nevada.

I didn't know it was to be his last ride and he died from cancer caused by agent orange exposure in Viet Nam. After his death his widow had me do a complete service on the bike and I returned it to her garage and covered it up. Fast forward to last month when she stopped and told me she was ready to part with the bike. A friend had been looking for an 04 to replace the one he sold years ago.

Today Aethon the FJR saw the light of day for the first time since the spring of 09. I put it away with all new fluids, full of non ethanol with a hot load of seafoam and no battery. Installed a new battery and it fired just like new. I'll update the fluids this week and put on a set of tires.

The bike only has 12 thousand miles on it and a bunch of nice farkles including a Russell seat. It changed hands for 3500.00. I'm sure the new owner will introduce himself soon.:) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent story. You did your friend a great service getting him to take that ride. Probably more that you know.

Awesome of you to do those things and glad you got the chance to ride with him even if only that one time.

We're all here for the common love of a great motorcycle but it's the people here that make folks stay.

Good show of class Ray. Interesting how his widow decided to keep the bike for so long after his demise. I had a similar situation. A long time good friend who I had known for 50 years owned and raced motorcycles in southern CA when he was a young guy. He had not taken up riding again until I bought him a Yamaha Virago in 2003. He lived in southern Oregon and I would ride up and meet him to take road trips though Oregon and the Pacific Northwest. After only several years he had a reoccurrence of cancer and had to give up riding. He passed away several months ago.

Good stuff, Ray. Hopefully the new owner will make up for lost travel.
Have to agree with that.
smile.png

Wonderful story Ray