Shoot.... let's ride!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
I got my 21 year old nephew Jacob hooked on riding. Jacob rides a 600 Hornet that runs like a top. And he rides very well, too. He's a junior in Mechanical Engineering at our local University. Between school work, his part time job, his girlfriend, and whatever else you can think of, well - there's not much time for ole Uncle Pants.

But I texted him during the week to see if he wanted to ride to the shooting range, and he replied affirmative. We met early at my house and took the long way to the range. It was a nice 50 mile ride through the coastal marsh. I soaked my T-shirt prior to leaving and in the 80 degree heat, at 70-mph, it actually wasn't too hot.

We arrived at the range at 8 am, as they were just opening things up. We signed the release documents and made our way to the range. Jacob looks loaded for bear this morning.

DSCN1038_zpsbh6ies8x.jpg

The 15 yard targets look a bit far away for some reason.

DSCN1040_zpstentjmuw.jpg

Soon the range went "hot" and we got going. After a little plinking practice, we decided that a gentlemen's bet was in order. We would shoot 5 sessions of 10 rounds each. Each session would be at a clean target and the bet was for $1.00 per session.

After the first session, I shot horribly and barely hit the target. Jacob took that one easily. The second session didn't get much easier, and Jacob won that one too. I was down 2-0 and shooting like garbage.

Others were having their own fun.

DSCN1039_zpsztpjww8u.jpg

For session 3, I decided to buckle down and really concentrate. I was shooting left and down (usually do, but not this bad), so I adjusted right and up in my aim. It worked - I beat Jacob like a drum. For session 4, it was even better, 36-18. We were tied at 2-2. It was going to come down to session 5 for all of the marbles (and a dollar bill to boot).

I got sweat in my eye and it pissed me off, but I concentrated as I squeezed the trigger. When the range went cold, as I was walking to the targets, I noticed Jacob hit a 8 or a 9. I was concerned. But in the end, I just squeezed by, winning 23 - 22.

This was either Jacob's or mine - dead paper for sure!

DSCN1041_zpsagukqpvc.jpg

And to the victor goes the spoils.....

DSCN1044_zpsbxvatz0o.jpg

Jacob followed me out of the range and then split off to go home and change for work. I rode about 50 miles on a lazy loop ride and ended up at Cycle Gear to spend some money and chew the fat with the manager, whom I know. Then I zipped home just before the thunderstorms started.

Not a bad Saturday morning.

Stay thirsty, my friends....

Taking cash out of a poor college students pocket! Ruthless is Uncle Pants. Good to see you figured a way to get out before the heat.

Yeah - I'm not a very good shot at all. We started at the plink plates. We loaded up and I hit one on my first shot. It actually surprised me. I thought.... "Maybe today I will shoot better."

I didn't hit another one for 5 or 6 shots....

Good. I know exactly which house to rob now. And I just happen to have your address in my GPS!
smile.png

I have got to get over there to shoot with you one day. I wonder if Dear Old Dad can focus on his sights enough to shoot accurately nowadays. Of course, accuracy can have different definitions to different folks.

I consistently shoot left and low. I know what I am doing - I'm rolling my finger on the trigger instead of pulling it straight back. But for the life of me, I can't seem to stop it naturally. If I really (REALLY) concentrate, it gets better. But soon I go right back to the same ole same ole.

Truthfully, if I just aim high and right, I shoot pretty good.

I consistently shoot left and low. I know what I am doing - I'm rolling my finger on the trigger instead of pulling it straight back. But for the life of me, I can't seem to stop it naturally. If I really (REALLY) concentrate, it gets better. But soon I go right back to the same ole same ole.
Truthfully, if I just aim high and right, I shoot pretty good.
Low and left is normally due to "jerking" the trigger. Ball and dummy drills are in order.

Make it somewhere inbetween.. like Atlanta! :)

(I know I know.. some FJR owner I am.. working on it!)

This might be a good idea for an FJR gathering. Or even incorporate it into a 2-hour part of a day on a weekend.

Are you going to FJRBandit's shin dig at the end of October? From what I gather, he's got 20+ acres. Maybe we could setup a safe area to shoot there?

I'm guessing I would have better luck hitting the paper by throwing the gun at it rather than shooting it.

But if it was Duck Hunt, that's a different story! I just don't have any old CRTs to play anymore.
sadsmiley.gif
Still have my NES and the classic games for it though and it gets fired up on occasion.