22nd annual Ride to the Rock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cota95

RI Beach Pop
Reaction score
22nd annual Ride to the Rock!!!! Saturday 11/25/2023
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls and FU Bob:
This year I'm dedicating the ride to my long time friend Al Gasbarro (Algas), who died suddenly 8 days after returning from south east Ohio ride. Al was the only person to attend this ride all 21 years! He will be missed.

I am putting on the schedule the 22nd annual 'Ride to the Rock'. The ride leaves from my humble abode in Lincoln RI at 9am and travels the backroads of southeastern MA to Plymouth MA to visit 'the Rock' in honor of our forefathers and Thanksgiving. The ride is usually held the Saturday after Thanksgiving each year, the 403nd anniversary of the crossing so the Mayflower (rain/snow date Sunday 11/28). The ride will go on regardless of how cold it is or how many attend-we have had as many as 29 bikes and as few as 3. We couldn't care less what you ride but we do require the noisy HDs to ride in the rear. Leave a PM here if you would like more info and directions to my house and hotels. DRESS WARM!! Coffee and donuts will be served before the ride at 7:30. KSU at 9am.
**Note** Due to crowds at the boat, again this year we will not be stopping at the Mayflower but at the Monument to our Forefathers. Then off to Mickey D's

Hi George,

Sorry to hear about your friend Al.

Highly unlikely that I’ll be attending the ride from up here in Vermont this year. Generally I’m unable to get to the paved roads that late in the fall, but who knows? It would be a kick to do it again from up here. It would be a full 3 hours ride down in the morning. I’ll keep an eye on the weather. I think all of the kids are doing their Turkey Days at their outlaws. And there is zero chance I could get Josie to go unless we ride her horse!

Hello Beach Pop, If the weathers good I'm in. I'm about two hours from you. Right near MX 338. I will have to see how my family Thanksgiving plan goes; but probably leave here early and be there before 9:00. (If temps flirt with 32 deg... I'm out) Just Say'n...

Pete-o

Hi George,

Sorry to hear about your friend Al.

Highly unlikely that I’ll be attending the ride from up here in Vermont this year. Generally I’m unable to get to the paved roads that late in the fall, but who knows? It would be a kick to do it again from up here. It would be a full 3 hours ride down in the morning. I’ll keep an eye on the weather. I think all of the kids are doing their Turkey Days at their outlaws. And there is zero chance I could get Josie to go unless we ride her horse!
Hi Fred,
Great to hear from you and thanks for Al. That was a great year. I think it hit 63 and we had 30 riders, including a bunch from NH (you and Ionbeam etc.). I'll see if I can find any pictures from that year. I didn't realize that you moved to VT from southern NH. We'll have to meet up sometime.
George

Hello Beach Pop, If the weathers good I'm in. I'm about two hours from you. Right near MX 338. I will have to see how my family Thanksgiving plan goes; but probably leave here early and be there before 9:00. (If temps flirt with 32 deg... I'm out) Just Say'n...

Pete-o
Let me know Pete and we'll save you a donut.
George

Date change**********************

Since I only have 3 other people coming that i'm aware of and the high on Saturday is predicted to be 36 I took a vote and we have moved the ride to the next day (Sunday) when it's supposed to hit 44. Yippee!

Last edited:
You all enjoy that 44. We just got 6” of wet snow dumped last night. It should melt off quickly, but the dirt roads are a mess and the paved ones have been well salted.

Enjoy your Turkeys boys!

And l thought northern bikes had next to zero exposure to road salt? Tell me, am I wrong about the close to sea level ownership too? No, not the salt. A quick shot with a hose works the same north or south. Hose not frozen of course. The greater risks to wear there are those straight roads almost as flat as this bike's torque curve. Relax I said almost, but you know how it is with those seniors. Some of them are going to hold onto that adolescent behavior forever and they tend to gravitate to warmer temperatures. Where their incessant "recreational speeding" is less painful.

I’m guessing that you’ve never ridden in Northern New England. There is plenty of road salt used in winter, but not many straight roads.

Hello Beach Pop, I'm going to bow out, this year. 25 deg departure and rain in the early evening is expected. I go to the RI shore a few times a year; I'll reach out next time. Enjoy the rock.

Pete-o

Hello Beach Pop, I'm going to bow out, this year. 25 deg departure and rain in the early evening is expected. I go to the RI shore a few times a year; I'll reach out next time. Enjoy the rock.

Pete-o
We'll miss you Pete. Next time. We would have stuck to Saturday if we had more coming from out of the area. Geoge