1st Hand Feedback Request: Scorpion EXO GT920 Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So the title sums it up. I'm looking for feedback or reviews from owners of the new Scorpion EXO GT920 Modular Helmet.

I've done my due diligence, for the most part, and the on-line reviews all sound pretty rosy in general. I've been rocking a Scorpion EXO 900 "Transformer" for the past 3-4 years, and I have been quite happy with it, though it is getting a little long in the tooth these days.

I did just buy one of the new Scorpions for my wife (size XS) as she has been using an older HJC C-Max modular helmet, and I don't feel like that helmet is all that safe anymore. Better than nothing, for sure. And probably better than a 3/4 helmet, but the pivoting face mechanism on those always felt a tad flimsy and substandard.

Received hers, and ripped it apart to transfer her headset over. It feels like a quality, well made helmet on a similar scale with the higher-Bux brands, and yet the price of admission is only a tad over $200 in the solid colors. Which are very limited. They offer only black, flat black and white, so we chose white for her, and I would likely too.

These helmets seem feature rich, with excellent non-fogging face shields (from my 1st hand experience), convenient flip down sun shades, sturdy attachment and latching of the pivoting modular face piece, and luxurious interior foam liners that are both comfortable and hold up well, as well as capable of easy removal and washing.

The new model seems even lighter than my old 900, has an even sturdier, non-removable face piece (not a transformer anymore, but I never rode with it without the face piece), and the form shape has been modified from a rounder format to a more intermediate oval, which would be welcome. I got hot spots on my forehead initially, but worked the EPS liner enough to get rid of those eventually.

I tried on a few state of the art Shoei helmets in the past few days and I couldn't justify paying 3 times the money for those helmets knowing full well that they are not necessarily any safer, and didn't feel any more comfortable, than the Scorpions.

So what's not to love about these $200 lids besides their lack of colors and graphics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought the black/red GT920 for myself and the misses. We are both very happy with them, comfortable and good airflow. Rode about 600 miles one day at 55 degrees in the rain and shield never fogged. Only thing I wish that was different is the lower vent. Closes too easily, always hitting it when opening/closing the flip up.

With the windshield down do get some wind noise but can still hear the music or talk to the wife at highway speed. If I then put my faceshiled up actually have very little wind noise. Quite often I ride with just the sun visor down. If I ride with windshield up I almost always leave the faceshield up to get more air as I have a large aftermarket windshield.

Ive had 1 for a few months. I like it, no complaints besides the cheekpads being too big. I usually wear a large but ordered xl in the 920 and its still tight on my face. otherwise its a nice helmet. I got the safety yellow one. It looks good.

I just bought my wife a new GT 3000 helmet. She likes it a lot, the fit worked better for her than the Schuberth that she tried on, and having the pump makes it a little more adjustable. I would consider one, for my next helmet.

Just as an FYI... The 920 doesn't have the air fit pump like the old 900 and 900X did. If you want that feature you need to go to the 3000, at a bigger price tag, and heavier helmet weight. I never used the pump on my 900 so I doubt I'd miss it on the 920.

I've had 1 for a few months. I like it, no complaints besides the cheekpads being too big. I usually wear a large but ordered xl in the 920 and its still tight on my face. otherwise its a nice helmet. I got the safety yellow one. It looks good
I've read that comment from other reviewers. Some say they have broken in eventually to fit well. Others have said they took the cheekpads out and set a heavy book or other object on them overnight to speed up the break-in. When you said you wear a large, what helmet brand would that be in (for reference purposes)? Have you owned any Scorpions in the past? They do all seem to run on the tighter side.

Wish I could find someone local that carries these helmets as I'd really like to to try one on.

Fred the GT3000's weight is 3.54 lbs....that's a little lighter than the GT920.
Thanks. Makes sense the more expensive helmet would be lighter. I was just regurgitating what I'd read. They probably meant the 920 was lighter than the 900(X) with the bladder. In any case, I don't think the weight differences are much.

I've had an XL for a couple of weeks now. Cheekpads were tight to the point I couldn't bite down without biting the inside of my cheeks but I feel them breaking in quickly. I will eventually be happy with it. The helmet is lighter and a bit quieter than my Gmax GM54s.

I tried on an XL Shoei Neotec at a local store and it felt great. Kinda wish I had saved my money a bit longer and bought the Shoei.

Just as an FYI... The 920 doesn't have the air fit pump like the old 900 and 900X did. If you want that feature you need to go to the 3000, at a bigger price tag, and heavier helmet weight. I never used the pump on my 900 so I doubt I'd miss it on the 920.

I've had 1 for a few months. I like it, no complaints besides the cheekpads being too big. I usually wear a large but ordered xl in the 920 and its still tight on my face. otherwise its a nice helmet. I got the safety yellow one. It looks good
I've read that comment from other reviewers. Some say they have broken in eventually to fit well. Others have said they took the cheekpads out and set a heavy book or other object on them overnight to speed up the break-in. When you said you wear a large, what helmet brand would that be in (for reference purposes)? Have you owned any Scorpions in the past? They do all seem to run on the tighter side.

Wish I could find someone local that carries these helmets as I'd really like to to try one on.
That might have been my review on revzilla. I took them out and pilled books on top. I took them out the other day and clamped them in a vice. lol resilient little things....

I tried on an XL Shoei Neotec at a local store and it felt great. Kinda wish I had saved my money a bit longer and bought the Shoei.
Really? Why? Is that because that helmet fit you better? Or was there some other feature(s) you liked more? You could buy 3 of the Scorpions to just one of the Shoeis, so... it would have to be pretty great.

One thing that keeps me looking at the Scorpions is they have really mastered the fog free windscreen thing. Their inside coating does not fog ever (it does get a little blurry down by your mouth, but no fog in front of your eyes), and it stays put even with cleanings. And that's without the hassles of having pin-lock layers. I've been very happy with all 3 screens I've used on my old EXO 900 (2 clears and one smoke) and they continue to use the same coating on their current models.

I do like the anti fog face shield. Nice and quiet too when snapped closed. The inner drop down shade could be darker.

I just ordered a dark smoke face shield ($39.95) and XXXL cheekpads ($14.95) from Revzilla. Those two items should make me happy with it.

Cheek pads are only interchangeable between XS-L and XL-XXXL. If you have any flesh at all on your skull, expect to up-size the cheek pads.

Obviously can't comment on the GT920, but I tired of my EXO-900 in about a year, kept it for three. Cheek pads compressed and got really loose, it was quieter than some but still loud, air bladder wouldn't hold air, chin guard hinges broke easily 'cuz they were really cheap (replace under warranty), chin latch tab broke (warranty, they later redesigned)..... if the GT920 is an upgraded design, it needed it. As for the Shoei comparison, no comparison. Leaps better, quieter, built solid, good hinges and latches, flows lots of air. There was a discussion somewhere about Neotec vs. Schuberth C3.... in that class my pick is the Neotec. But you're right, wanna move up a notch and pay for it is the choice. Kinda like getting a Russell seat. Scorpion has been a decent budget helmet all said and done. Neotec and Schuberth prices this year are a bit insane, discounted heavily at bike shows.

I had a Scorpion for a while. After I sliced a few mms off the cheek pads with an Exacto knife, it fit fine. Airflow was not enough for me. The faceshield attaching mechanism broke. But the thing that bugged me the most was that big ugly "S". I just didn't like it.

I replaced it with a Bell, which fits fine and flows more air I think, but it is noisier, and the thing that really bugs me about it is the faceshield has a tendency to fly open when I look over my shoulders to check traffic. It needs a locking shield. Time is running out on the Bell, maybe I'll try a modular next but I'm not sure which one.

I've tried on Shoeis and they seem to fit fine. Even more air flow would be enough to make me spring for one.

Cheek pads are only interchangeable between XS-L and XL-XXXL.
Are you positive about that? I thought that I read that Scorpion had gone to 3 shell sizes for the 920. Yup, that's what it says in Web Bike World's review. What it doesn't mention is which sizes use the same shells, which is what would impact where you can interchange cheek pads.

The Scorpion web site faq indicates that the EXO900 was 3 shell sizes. (XS-S / M-L / XL-3XL) but doesn't list the EXO920. I'd bet they are still the same 3 shell sizes.

I've had much better luck with my EXO900 than Ray did, which is partly why I'm looking at the new 920. I'm on my 4th year of using mine now, never had to replace anything except a scratched face shield (my fault), and it is still quite usable. The L was very snug when new, so maybe that's why it didn't get too loose on me later, and I never used the neck roll inflation thing which always just seemed like kind of a gimmick to me. But even with a thorough washing of the liners, it's becoming a bit less than fresh inside now.

Have to laugh about the "S" logo complaint. A couple of minutes with some matching paint and an artist's paint brush would make it less obtrusive, but I guess I never worried about it all that much.
laugh.png

I'll have to look closer at the Shoei Neotec and see if I can self-justify the big expense. I don't mind paying more for something that is a much better product (vis-a-vis Russell, etc.), but I'm not keen on spending money for a "designer label". I also wish they had Scorpion's fog free face shield coating system.

Just a quick note that Naults in Windham NH has been really helpful in fitting helmets for us and they have matched interweb prices when I asked. Twice they have fitted us with (helmet) cheek pads at no cost. IIRC the Shoei cheek pads were ~$50/set and they did both helmets for us gratis. The only problem with Naults is they are so close to you that you get no real ride at all going there
wink.png

Yeah, I remembered that you had received some good service there. I did swing by there a while back (in my car). They seem to carry Shoei, Arai and HJC brands and seem to get full list price, or at least that is what they are marked. I did pull on a Shoei helmet to confirm my suspicions on sizes and fit while I was there. But the sticker price scared me away. ;)