ATL to Tampa & Orlando

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoore68

Reaction score
All,

My wife and I took a week long ride from Atlanta to Tampa, Orlando, then back home last week. We/I have never ridden that long before but was up the challenge. We were not in a rush so we took out time and rode down 75S thru Macon, Voldosta, Ocala....then to Tampa. We encountered a couple of rain bursts, but with our Frog Toggs rain gear they actually worked great. This was our first road trip using our new Sena SMH 10 headsets, they worked great. We were able to stream music from the phone(Pandora), listen to GPS, and chat a little at speeds excess of 80mph. I would highly recommend them if you don't have anything. Great for 2up travel. We ride a 2012 model, the bike was excellent except about 150 miles out my butt went numb. I now understand all the threads about replacing the seat. I purchased a gel seat pad before we left, but that didn't keep my buttocks from screaming as we traveled. The only cure was to ride faster!!

I know there are a lot of tourer's out there, but the FJR1300 is hands down the best looking bike on the road. Everytime we stopped, people would come up and ask about the bike, they would honk the horn, one little boy rolled his window down and shouted "Cool Bike", my wife and would smile and wave. Riding 2up fully loaded(saddle bags, and backrest luggage bag we were still able to get 42mpg throughout the entire trip. I filled up in Atlanta, right outside Voldosta, and about 30 miles from Tampa...about $35 in both directions. Awesome bike in all accounts!!!

I want to give a shout out to Garauld Crowley for the backrest he fabricated for my wife. He did and excellant job, she loved the backrest and it makes the bike look really nice. Looks like OEM! If anyone is looking for a backrest of pegs...he's the guy! Hope this is helpful to someone who is thinking about taking a trip down to FL....dress light, PLEASE TAKE RAIN GEAR, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

David

Glad you enjoyed the trip and made it home safe. That's an interesting avatar photo. Sunbathing?
grin.gif

That's a good route; did it a lot when living in Brandon (FL) with a son at Georgia Tech. The new wider highway makes it a nice drive between Valdosta and Macon.

Glad y'all had fun.