Buy a 2003 w/8K Miles? Advice, Please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRandyGuy

Reaction score
Weird story, but true: I just bought a 2013 FJR like new with 4,000 miles for $10K. I have the chance to pick up a cherry 2003 FJR with 8,000 miles for just under $4K. What do you think - yes or no? '03 is the original owner, minor mods (lower foot pegs, wind deflectors on the side fairing panels), appears very clean.

I had an '03 and put 27,000 miles on it and the heat coming up behind the tank right at my crotch was unbearable in the summer heat. Some will say that this is not an issue but it sure was for me.

You can't go wrong with a good '03.
Not sure what you would do with two FJRs but if you have the

funds and garage space I would say go for it.

Canadian FJR
I have no idea, either. I've done crazier things before (3 Interceptors at one time - love those bikes). You guys have the experience and I listen to what you say.

What are you looking to accomplish? Have two FJRs? Pick up the '03 and flip the '13 and have a lower cost FJR...sure but you're giving up many, many improvements.

Give us a peek into the reasoning!

--G

What are you looking to accomplish? Have two FJRs? Pick up the '03 and flip the '13 and have a lower cost FJR...sure but you're giving up many, many improvements.
Give us a peek into the reasoning!

--G
Not sure, other than these bikes tend to be ridden to very high mileage. Finding an original icon bike, stock, in very good shape with low miles (I know, that can bring its own problems) has always been attractive to me. Not really an investment, a fun hobby without question.

No argument from me. I don't have enough garage space to collect too many bikes...sometimes I'd sure like to!

--G

I happen to own an '03 FJR AND a '13 FJR.

The '03 is really for my son (after I slid it home) , and the '13 is my 'upgraded ride to the Gen 3'.

They are similar but still different.... The '03 is lighter , brighter, quicker, flickier, and warmer (I added the heat blanket)

The '13 is heavier, smoother, safer, calmer and cooler (cold air flows everywhere).

I like them both SO MUCH... but I ride the '13 now because 'I'm trying to grow up".
rolleyes.gif

I agree that if I got a second bike, it'd be something different like an FZ07 or SV650.

The idea of a second bike would enable me to loan it to friends when they're in town so we could go do some riding. My neighbor did loan my friend his Bandit 1200 once and that was nice.

I have a 2003 , did the tank wrap, have a baggini on the tank , wear a STICH, no problem with the heat coming off the motor. you will love the fact that it is lighter and faster than any other FJR , HANDS DOWN!!!! LOL

Yeah, an 03 is slightly lighter and marginally quicker than your later Gen FJR, but there are lots of other bikes that are far lighter and quicker than ANY FJR. I can't see the point of owning two copies of essentially the same bike.

Surprised nobody mentioned that a bike that has sat around as much as the one you are looking at can have a lot of hidden maintence needs. Unless it was dirt cheap I'd pass on that one

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand the multiple bike syndrome, but you've already got more modern refinements in an FJR platform. Maybe look for a garage queen in something completely different? (Says the guy with the FJR and the FLHX)

But about the Gen I, count me among those for whom the heat thing is a non-issue. However I do wear gear...even in the heat of a SC summer.

That's not many miles on a bike at all. While things won't be "worn down" you can count on replacing several parts that might be rubber-based. I learned the hard way from bringing home a barn-find truck from my parents' estate: a vehicle that sits is going to need a lot of attention -- even after getting the mouse nests and spider webs out of it. Getting something older into running order is fun, but plan on doing some work that you won't get reimbursed!

Perhaps look into the tax and insurance hit that such a purchase might give you. The taxes ought to be low. The insurance....???

'fooz

Last edited by a moderator: