Gen III Datel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dravnx

Reaction score
Has anyone mounted a Datel type voltmeter in a Gen 3?

Where did you mount it?

I would like to mounting mine flush in one of the plastic panels.

Has anyone mounted a Datel type voltmeter in a Gen 3? Where did you mount it?
I thought about it, but since the Gen 2+ bikes aren't watt challenged like Gen 1 bikes..I didn't bother. Datels have been much less popular or needed these days.

However, if I were to install one...I'd go straight to a mirror type install.

Yeah, I saw that. Intriguing but rather complicated.
I tried the flush mount in the panel before, but rebuying plastic because of stress cracks in the rectangle form-factor was ultimately less complicated than the mirror install for me.

But, then any Datel install on a Gen 3 seemed unnecessarily complicated to me.....unless you're riding two up with electrics and gnarly lights all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have a real reason to have a volt meter I'd let it go. Unlike the previous Gens there is very little space behind any of the instrument panels. There is a lot of space under the right side panel from the battery back toward the seat and some space under the panels in front of the storage box. The curvature of the panels may make mounting the volt meter awkward.

Pull the panels and have a look for yourself.

There will be limited clearance under any panel, even if someone told you they put a meter between the storage box and the rear edge of the panel around the box you will still have to pull the panel and check for interferences. The exact location for the meter will be tricky and you can't simply copy someone else's install without determining the exact spot to put the meter on your FJR.

I would highly recommend that you use an ignition switched relay to read power directly off of the battery posts.

I use the built in volt meter on my radar detector, it's not a Datel for accuracy, nor is it directly connected to the battery but it does make an adequate trend indicator.

Thanx, great info. I guess I'm a bit paranoid about stator failures on previous bikes. I also wear heated gear and run aux lights and would like to monitor my electric bank. In my Vstrom, I have the Datel wired through a fuse block and even though it doesn't display the exact battery voltage, it's close enough for me to tell if something is amiss or if I need to turn down some of my heated gear. I ride year round into the mid 30's. I really like my heated gear during my morning commute.

I have a Clearwater Voltage monitor LED in my junk box. Maybe I'll wire it in temporarily to see how I like it. I pulled it out of my Vstrom because it would flash green all the time and it was distracting. The voltage set points are wrong for that bike.

Much like others have suggested, there doesn't appear to be as much of a need for a voltmeter on Gen 2 and 3. With that said, I am a bit paranoid about electrical output. I've had a stator die mid trip on another bike- luckily I had a spare stator/gasket/tools but that's another story.

On the FJR I used this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JOB790K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took the mounting ears off with a razor blade and used double sided tape to frame and mounted just to the left of the steering stem pointing upward.

Easy install, out of the way, inexpensive, not permanent, and offers peace of mind.

I'm a man of function over form, so I just used double-side tape to tape the Datel on the dash :)

axibqfQ.jpg

I have a Koso that I got from Amazon on my gen 1. I dual locked it to the right side master cylinder. Takes up no extra space, wiring is tucked in with existing plumbing and nothing else is going there.

I have an alternative way to install the Datel Meter on the gen 3. I had it mounted on the plastic of my 06 and found the light to be distracting at night. On the 14 I use it only occasionally. After much thought the glove compartment was an ideal place for me. I use a toggle switch to turn it off and on.
20160829_132812-1_zpss0tudjqx.jpg

Just to clarify my previous post the Datel is flush mounted in the glove box. When riding the lid can be opened and the meter can easily be seen. For me I really only use it occasionally when working on the bike or when it is stored during the winter. Just my 2 cents. Or in this case 1.7 cents Canadian.

xm50 radar detector has volts function. not most accurate, but once the curve of know vs displayed is identified, simply look for a downward trend overtime. this led me to find a corroding rr wire recently.