2013 Cowling Side Vent Covers - Anyone remove the vinyl color panel?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdclaiborne

2013 Yamaha FJR1300A, 1999 Honda GL1500C Valkyrie
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Just picked up a pretty clean and basically well maintained 2013 A. It has some scratches and scuff on the left side cowl panel vent cover. I thought about doing black carbon fiber wrap as some have, but I realized that the color is actually a black vinyl skin over the matt black plastic panel itself. If I'm not mistaken, the 2014 red cowl side panel are simply the matt black panel with no vinyl color skin, right?. Has anyone tried to remove the black vinyl from the cowl side cover? Guess it doesn't matter since I need to either paint of wrap with the carbon fiber material. I always wonder what type adhesive is used, particularly on something 10 years old that has been in heat and cold. Thanks for any tips.

Last edited:
Hey gang,

Just picked up a pretty clean and basically well maintained 2013 A. It has some scratches and scuff on the left side cowl panel vent cover. I thought about doing black carbon fiber wrap as some have, but I realized that the color is actually a black vinyl skin over the matt black plastic panel itself. If I'm not mistaken, the 2014 red cowl side panel are simply the matt black panel with no vinyl color skin, right?. Has anyone tried to remove the black vinyl from the cowl side cover? Guess it doesn't matter since I need to either paint of wrap with the carbon fiber material. I always wonder what type adhesive is used, particularly on something 10 years old that has been in heat and cold. Thanks for any tips.
Answer: Modest use of heat gun to heat the 10 year old vinyl took it off 100%. No need for new panel, paint or carbon fiber wrap for now. Other things to do!

Attachments

• IMG_3940.JPG
    IMG_3940.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3942.JPG
    IMG_3942.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Answer: Modest use of heat gun to heat the 10 year old vinyl took it off 100%. No need for new panel, paint or carbon fiber wrap for now. Other things to do!

I'll bite:

Hey Tex from Prosper! Glad to see an easy fix. Those were some deep, striking
scratches. How's the rest of the tupperware? Give us a pic and the backstory on your gen 3. Thanks,

Archer 🏍️

Ha! I don’t usually answer my own posts. Figured i was going to either remove and wrap or replace. Just picked this 2013 A up yesterday and was surprised when I pulled cowling panel off and it was vinyl sticker. Scratches were 95% in the vinyl. Did both and they look great. Bags have a few scratches and the front left has a few minor scratches high toward front that don’t stand out much. Prepared to replace the front left and have bags painted later. Going over all the major maintenance and checks. Good Michelins, recent battery, fork seals, final drive service. Aware of rear suspension and swing arm service at 16k and valve check at 26k. Had an 05 FJR, then lost my mind and went for 3 HD’s last 2 FLHX Street Glides. Just refreshed and still have a pristine Honda Valkyrie GL1500 Standard beast. Had to have another FJR. There. Will post a pic shortly

I literally JUST saw that bike on cycletrader this morning. Seems like a very well priced bike.

sparky, yes you did and yes it WAS! I was watching cycletrader and PO listed at $6k, then in 1-2 days relisted at $5200 which got my attention. Professional guy with reasonable maintenance records from Yamaha dealer, was clearly honest with pics of worst scratches, answered several rounds of questions via e-mail. For the price, mileage and condition it was a no-brainer. I looked at it Saturday, told hiom after about 10 minutes I wanted it and tried to give him some "hold it" $$ until Monday, he said no, I trust you. I've ordered the R-Gaza engine protectors, 1" bar risers. I'm going to attempt to touch-up and polish out some minor scratches on left upper front fairing. If not happy, I'll order new. Bags have some scratches, so I'm going to see what DIY I can do (thinking of trying a scheme on just outer middle surface with some black plasti-dip for now, then will likely have them professionally painted later. For me, with guitars, firearms and motorcycles, I enjoy tinkering, beautifying and making my own as much as playing, firing or riding.