Yamaha Diagnostic Tool (kit) - GenIII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaYzerman19

Go Wings!
Reaction score
With recent discussions of 2014 throttle stumble and 2016's with check engine lights, I am half thinking I'd like to invest in the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool kit consisting of CD software, adapter harnesses, and a computer interface........ here's the dealio as far as I know it......

Part Number 90890-03216-00, superceded by 90890-03252-00 - listed in the 2013-15 FSM

Part Number 90890-03251-00 - listed in the 2016 FSM.

They cost approx. $450+ and $530+ respectively...... so it would initially appear since both part numbers are currently valid, they are different kits. I'm wondering how we can have Yamaha confirm that for sure..... anyone know of a Yamaha tech line we can call or can we call a dealer who has the tool or tools to see what the difference is? Probably software for sure....... but it would be nice if the 2016 tool could do all and be a one purchase instead of a two........

If the 2016 is OBDII compliant, I would have to imagine that there are off the shelf scanners (maybe even bluetooth dongles?) that could be had for much less than buying directly from the mothership.

Move a little west Ray and I'm in too!
rolleyes.gif

Let us know what you find out my friend.

--G

With recent discussions of 2014 throttle stumble and 2016's with check engine lights, I am half thinking I'd like to invest in the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool kit consisting of CD software, adapter harnesses, and a computer interface........ here's the dealio as far as I know it......
Part Number 90890-03216-00, superceded by 90890-03252-00 - listed in the 2013-15 FSM

Part Number 90890-03251-00 - listed in the 2016 FSM.

They cost approx. $450+ and $530+ respectively...... so it would initially appear since both part numbers are currently valid, they are different kits. I'm wondering how we can have Yamaha confirm that for sure..... anyone know of a Yamaha tech line we can call or can we call a dealer who has the tool or tools to see what the difference is? Probably software for sure....... but it would be nice if the 2016 tool could do all and be a one purchase instead of a two........
i'll go check at my old shop tomorrow. Yamaha pushes the special tools to the dealers and then bills them so they likely have both tools on the shelf. if so i'll inspect and see what i can buy them for.

I'll be looking into a Yamaha Diagnostic Tool this winter also. The '13 to '15 diagnostic tool is not the same and not interchangeable with the '16 OBD II tool 90890-03251-00. This is a good overview of what tool 90890-03251-00 does.

'01 to '12 diAG

'13 to '15 DIAG and a Yamaha proprietary connector port for the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool

'16 to '?? OBD II port only, the FJR will have to meet OBD II standards but is also allowed to have Yamaha FJR1300 specific codes which don't fall under any OBD II code numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the updates, guys. I also thought an off the shelf OBD tool will not be able to do data logging or read Yamaha specific codes......

@G - Not against sharing.... I've heard USPS or couriers can move stuff both east and west........

Of course Yamaha would have their own OEM codes, Top Secret, I was expecting it even posted on a thread earlier this year.

Like BMW and that South African developed 911 tool, that court case etc etc.

Hopefully some smart person can crack the codes & develop a PC program.

I managed to crack some Otis 401 lift codes to enable the company I worked for to service those elevators.

When the new 2016's and above become more prevalent, our little co-op could purchase one tool for the group.

If it's not locked to a specific ECU serial #, like the 3rd party engineered Dealer Tool that the Triumph Trophy can use, ECU locked, can't share.

10:1 it is, make more money.

I'll be looking into a Yamaha Diagnostic Tool this winter also. The '13 to '15 diagnostic tool is not the same and not interchangeable with the '16 OBD II tool 90890-03251-00.
Do you think the '16 diagnostic tool will be backwards compatible with previous Gen III (and maybe II) proprietary non OBD II systems?

This is a good overview of what tool 90890-03251-00 does.
'01 to '12 diAG

'13 to '15 DIAG and a Yamaha proprietary connector port for the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool

'16 to '?? OBD II port only, the FJR will have to meet OBD II standards but is also allowed to have Yamaha FJR1300 specific codes which don't fall under any OBD II code numbers
Does anyone have a picture of the OBDII port on a '16? Is it the standard trapezoid shaped connector that cars and trucks have? I would imagine they're standardized? What do I know though.

I can see having the ability to lock out the end user from changing the software for things that can potentially damage the engine like spark timing or hell maybe even emission related EPA mandated parameters, but the ability to view and record streaming data like any other OBDII vehicle shouldn't be only for those who pay the low low entry fee of $500. I thought the beauty of switching to a CAN Bus system was the standardization of trouble codes between vehicles for diagnostic purposes. All vehicle manufacturers seem to have their own specific/proprietary codes within OBD2, but they all seem to also share a bunch of generic codes as well. It would be shameful for Yamaha to deny their customers the ability to stream and record / diagnose for themselves issues that may present themselves on their product line like oh...say a kickstand shutoff switch error that trips the SES light.

I see that when setting up the tool it looks like you're required to register your dealership and the software license with Yamaha. I have no idea if the software checks a list of acceptable dealerships in a database and grants access for the ability to use the tool, but I have to assume that is a possibility. Probably not though. Maybe it's for internal record keeping, I don't know. /rant

Do we have any Android App developers amongst us?

I went to my old shop this morning, the link ionbeam posted above https://www.yamaha-dealers.ca/yec/en/advertising/docs/M16-017.pdf is the gospel.

I looked at 90890-03251-00 and it is in fact a Thumb Drive
20160906_102057_zps1835pyaq.jpg

My old shop has not sold or serviced a 2016 but as far as we could determine the connection for the YDS is the same three wired white plug located under the seat. There appears to be no change to a car like multi-pin OBD2 connector.

I checked the availability of both parts:

Part Number 90890-03252-00 - listed in the 2013-15 FSM lists for $590.83 with an ESD of 12/13/2016

Part Number 90890-03251-00 - The Thumb Drive pictured above "Diagnostic Tool USB US" listed for $700.99 with an ESD of 11/22/2016

Those prices came direct from Yamaha's Dealer System and were the Dealer's Cost.

You would need both of the above parts for diagnosis, but, reading the tech bulletin above it appears that this new diagnostic aide also accesses a Yamaha Website to gain access to service and diagnostic history which is tracked by entering the VIN into the unit ECU the first time a new bike is connected to the YDS machine.

I'm guessing that even if you bought the two tools that Yamaha will bnot allow you to access their database. Thus, the tool is not much good to the group.

Agree. This is more than a little disheartening to every 3rd Gen owner

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just sell my '14 ES now and go find a nice, lightly used 1st Gen? I have a YES warranty until 2019, but I'm not sure what good that is if neither the dealerships nor Yamaha's roving technicians even know how to use the proprietary diagnostics they have.

Interesting, John, thanks for doing that...... would it be more appropriate to surmise that the tool must be tied/registered to a legitimate dealer name/number, then it can be used on whatever VIN to diagnose it? (I am attempting to interpret the .pdf). Nonetheless, there are roadblocks.

I went to my old shop this morning, the link ionbeam posted above https://www.yamaha-dealers.ca/yec/en/advertising/docs/M16-017.pdf is the gospel.
I looked at 90890-03251-00 and it is in fact a Thumb Drive
20160906_102057_zps1835pyaq.jpg

My old shop has not sold or serviced a 2016 but as far as we could determine the connection for the YDS is the same three wired white plug located under the seat. There appears to be no change to a car like multi-pin OBD2 connector.

I checked the availability of both parts:

Part Number 90890-03252-00 - listed in the 2013-15 FSM lists for $590.83 with an ESD of 12/13/2016

Part Number 90890-03251-00 - The Thumb Drive pictured above "Diagnostic Tool USB US" listed for $700.99 with an ESD of 11/22/2016

Those prices came direct from Yamaha's Dealer System and were the Dealer's Cost.

You would need both of the above parts for diagnosis, but, reading the tech bulletin above it appears that this new diagnostic aide also accesses a Yamaha Website to gain access to service and diagnostic history which is tracked by entering the VIN into the unit ECU the first time a new bike is connected to the YDS machine.

I'm guessing that even if you bought the two tools that Yamaha will bnot allow you to access their database. Thus, the tool is not much good to the group.
FOCK!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RaYzerman19" data-cid="1335508" data-time="1473188782"><p>

Interesting, John, thanks for doing that...... would it be more appropriate to surmise that the tool must be tied/registered to a legitimate dealer name/number, then it can be used on whatever VIN to diagnose it? (I am attempting to interpret the .pdf). Nonetheless, there are roadblocks.</p></blockquote>

Ray: I think that is the case.

Wheatie: Double Fock