grumpypoos Gen 1 transmission repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pictures of my endeavor

Soo this is hopefully the last time the motor will be like this

FLrj4zJ.jpg

After a bit of cussing and realizing I had a frame bolt in the way tada

82C7kxn.jpg

I have to order that bolt and those two gaskets. Then I can put the radiator and exhaust back on and i'll call this repair finished.

A dead Hello Kitty and a tin of cig butts looks like progress to me.

I have 2 Tundra horns that will replace your original situation when you need them, loud and slim.

You needed help to get the engine in the frame??!?!?!?! You were obviously not paying attention to my thread!!!!!
smile.png

(Honestly, it would have been easier with help, but I have no friends, so I was on my own!)
I envy the fact you did this by yourself. Idk how because i'm sure I may have broke something.

Were you at all scared to start it? I'm terrified to start the bike again. I'm positive I did everything right, but I'm still scared as shit :(

A dead Hello Kitty and a tin of cig butts looks like progress to me.
I have 2 Tundra horns that will replace your original situation when you need them, loud and slim.
Hello Kitty was collateral. She tried to help, but her little plush hands could do nothing :(

How much for the horns?

Were you at all scared to start it? I'm terrified to start the bike again. I'm positive I did everything right, but I'm still scared as shit
sad.png
Nope. the only timing-affecting thing I'd done was remove the exhaust cam to correct one valve's clearance, and I had both sprockets tied to the chain, and the chain also tied to the crankshaft sprocket. I'd run the shifter through its range before putting the case back together, to make that shifting video that's in my thread, so I knew the gearbox was good. I'd only dropped ONE bolt into the crankcase and retrieved it immediately with a magnetic stick, so there were going to be no surprises there, either. My biggest worry was whether it was going to spray oil from something I'd missed. turns out it sprayed (leaked, actually, but sprayed sounds worse :) ) water because I stupidly tried to reuse the O-rings on the top coolant pipe.

Well gentlemen,

I literally have to pUT the gas tank on and it's time to fire it up.

Wish me luck!

Youtube video will be coming eventually

So you've been playing with this thing for almost 3 mos. now. Did you ever get it running? How's the new tranny working?

A post from Wheaton sends me back to this thread today, and it Friday.

Well, Grumpypoo went to put the tank back on his FJR on 5/1/2016. His last time on the logging into the Forum (under this name) was 5/1/2016. Hopefully he successfully rode off into the sunset on his revivified FJR. Hope all is well with Grumpypoo and his FJR too. It would have been nice to close this story, happy ending or not.