I was dumb. Any pointers on a tire replacement in southern Utah or N. Arizona?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA G-Man

Reaction score
Long story short, I overestimated the remaining life of my rear tire, thinking it would get me from Alberta to Phoenix. It won't. I'm in La Verkin, Utah with the first threads of the carcass starting to show through. I'm on a fairly tight schedule with a flight home booked and traveling companions relying on me. I've got rooms booked in Grand Canyon Village for the next 2 nights but I'm worried I may not even make it that far.

Can anyone comment on how many more miles I'm likely to have - if any - before the the tire presents a serious safety risk at interstate speeds?

More importantly, any recommendations on a possible source for a rear tire and someone to install it for me in the area... on a Sunday (stop laughing!) would be most appreciated! I'll be scouring Google when I get to my hotel but I know several members here often have great advice.

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

PMs welcome, but I may not be able to respond immediately.

Thanks in advance!

There is a cycle gear store in Peoria, Arizona and surprise Arizona. Each one is about 160 miles from the Grand Canyon. They are both open tomorrow and I'm quite sure they will have a tire that can fit ur bike. It may be a sport bike tire but it should get u home.

One the cords are showing, you are "unsafe" now. I would be very careful.

Other members have bought a tube of shoe goo and believe it or not, a thick coat of that might by you a couple hundred miles.

Good luck.

Funny, but the "Amazing Goop" option crossed my mind earlier today. Thanks for your reply and the pointers!

Get th shoe goo on there tonite and give it all night to cure

Walmart has it in stock

Last edited by a moderator:
Long story short, I overestimated the remaining life of my rear tire, thinking it would get me from Alberta to Phoenix. It won't. I'm in La Verkin, Utah with the first threads of the carcass starting to show through. I'm on a fairly tight schedule with a flight home booked and traveling companions relying on me. I've got rooms booked in Grand Canyon Village for the next 2 nights but I'm worried I may not even make it that far. Can anyone comment on how many more miles I'm likely to have - if any - before the the tire presents a serious safety risk at interstate speeds? More importantly, any recommendations on a possible source for a rear tire and someone to install it for me in the area... on a Sunday (stop laughing!) would be most appreciated! I'll be scouring Google when I get to my hotel but I know several members here often have great advice. Thanks in advance!
CA-G-Man,

You would probably do better in St. George, for a tire or help on a Sunday. Ask how far that is from you now, and if you decide to go that far, just take it easy. By that I mean find a big slow truck on I-15, and follow him sedately, from a safe distance. I would not ask for anything like performance, from a tire showing cords. You should find a bike shop or two in St. George, but they may not be open on Sunday. You may need to call and cancel any intermediate stops, and just head south on your new tire.

Anywho.com has a tab for the Yellow Pages in St. George. They can find the motorcycle shops there for you. I wish I had better stuff to tell you.

Best wishes,

Infrared

Man, you're FUBAR. Talk about being in the middle of nowhere. At least nowhere that's gonna have a MC place open on a Sunday. South of you, Tuba City is good sized, but I'm doubting there's a MC place there open Sundays.

What tire are you on? A PR 2 might have a chance. Anything else, and your you're not flirting with danger, you're poking it in the eye. That ride inot GC Village will be hard on your tires, and IF it were me, I'd skip it. I'd take a slow ride towards Phoenix. Those roads are chip seal, phone coverage is spotty, and dealers willing to help are few. This is the area C and I ran out of tire last year and ended up in a UHaul. I was NOT showing cord, but knwe that tire wouldn't make Albuquerque.

Good luck man!! Wish I was closer. I have a PR2 takeoff in my garage.

I had the same experience earlier this summer - the rear goes much faster than you'd think. In a pinch, I've been told that a few layers of duct tape will get you limping along. Call ahead - I located tires but the store couldn't accomodate a tire change on a busy Saturday so I was SOL.

Duck Creek Yamaha open Sunday according to Google. https://goo.gl/maps/QsotBUKyjyQ2

You should call and check them out ASAP

68 miles from La Verkin. Bunch in Zion (including Rocky Mtn ATV) but I don't think any are open on Sunday.

Good Luck!!

That would be a closer choice than surprise Arizona cycle gear.

I'd get on the horn tomorrow morning first thing. I'd ride the shoe goo at 45 mph in 5th gear to whichever one had a tire in stock. Cycle gear should have a Michelin PR3 or 4.

Edit - I see that Cosmic Cycles in flagstaff is open on Sunday.

5 years ago I did a high speed run on the north side of the Grand Canyon which completely destroyed the softer side rubber on the OEM Bridgestones so all that was left was a center strip. Was told by locals my best bet was to ride from Kanab to Flagstaff for replacements . Which I did very slowly. Even there I had trouble finding 17 inch rubber for the FJR on a Sunday.

Good luck. Looks like you have some better options from wiser forum members.

Great find, Ross. I'll call Duck Creek Yamaha first thing in the morning and hope they can help out.

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. Even just the confirmation of what I thought I knew (i.e. that I'm screwed) is helpful.

CA G-Man,

Checking the maps, there is a route on secondary roads (as in, not the freeway) from La Verkin to St.George. We can only hope that these roads are paved, so it may be a good idea to ask the locals, first. Here is a map, and the directions:

https://user.xmission.com/~red/BackRoadsStGeorge.jpg
https://user.xmission.com/~red/BackRoadsStGeorge.rtf

It says, 23 miles, so you may be able make that trip on the tire that you have. If you have a problem, local residents are probably willing to help, if needed. Print out the map and directions, if you wish.

Cheers,

Infrared

I once did a little over 600 miles, from when I first noticed cord showing ( a small area, about an inch long), on a T-30GT. By the time I got home, the cords were showing all the way around, with the strip about a inch and a half wide. The last 300 miles I kept it under 55mph...it was a bit scary, and wouldn't recommend it. Also, I got pulled over by a cop, with about 180 miles to go, after seeing my rear tire. He gave me a talking to (aka..advice) for about 15 minutes, but let me go on my way.

Please be extra cautious, and best of luck in getting a new one put on,

Rob

P.S. You might want to let a couple pounds of air out of it, to help increase the contact patch.

I think you can get to a tire shop today. But u have NO traction. And u have NO puncture resistance. Just take it very slow and careful. Again, I'd throw some shoe goo on it if I could find the stuff. I'd pass on the duct tape - on even damp pavement, that's an accident waiting to happen.

There is a couple bike shops in flagstaff open today. If the local shops closed to u don't work out, keep going south. I have no doubt u will find a tire. The price may give u a heart attack. But this is fixable today.

It's all part of the adventure.......

I wouldn't let air out! That will get the tire hotter and could then de-laminate! I've seen that happen. I have had Sunday service in Flagstaff but that was a few years ago and can't remember the dealers name? Drive slow. Sorry I can't be more help.